Treasurer at Wildlife Conservation Charity
|Job Title:||Treasurer at Wildlife Conservation Charity|
|Salary:||Pro bono role|
|Contact Name:||David Busby|
|Job Published:||December 14, 2018 17:19|
Our partner's aim is to ensure that the Chagos Archipelago, a rare haven of beautiful reefs, diverse wildlife and clean waters in the Indian ocean, is conserved, and can act as an example for conservation and management of environments across the planet.
Their current Treasurer has been in post for 11 years, and needs to spend more time on other activities, though he intends to continue to serve as a trustee. They are seeking a replacement to take up the role of Treasurer in early 2019.
The position would suit someone with financial experience who would like to play an important role in the governance of a small environmental Charity.
- to maintain day-to-day accounts of income and expenditure.
- to prepare the accounts for audit or external examination by the auditors by November of each year.
- to prepare brief finance updates for each quarterly CIO Trustees' meeting.
- to chair Finance Committee meetings (held prior to, but on the same day as, Trustees’ meetings).
- to assist the Chair, Secretary and Director with decisions and policies with financial implications.
- to ensure that monthly reconciliations are carried out on Xero [the actual work on the reconciliation is undertaken by the Director].
- to obtain statements of all accounts (2 x CAF accounts, DG Community Bank (until end-2018) and PayPal for the accounts.
- to authorise payments from the CAF General account or PayPal for sign-off by Director or Secretary.
- to ensure that Payroll activities are carried out efficiently and to liaise with our payroll providers.
- to co-ordinate preparation of the Annual Report.
- to upload the Annual Report and Annual Summary on the Charity Commission website, within their required timescales.
- to prepare and present the Treasurer's statement at each AGM [normally Jan/Feb].
AfID are leading specialists in supporting NGOs operating globally with their financial management capacity & recruitment needs, on both a 'pro-bono' & ‘commercial' basis. For more opportunities in the international development sector (International & UK) or to find out more about how we can assist your non-profit organisation please visit the AfID website.
Developing a Career in International Development
We know it can be frustrating trying to develop a career in this much sought after sector, especially when organisations require prior experience; be it institutional donor management, fieldwork or capacity building of overseas recipients. Please don't let this put you off, we would strongly recommend considering a volunteer assignment as a way to gain this highly relevant experience. It’s no coincidence that 22% of AfID volunteers now work full-time in the charity sector, as even a short 2-3 week assignment will catch the eye and reassure these employers of your commitment and ability to navigate the diverse stakeholder contexts. It’s worth noting all AfID's assignments are individually tailored to the volunteers own preferences, skills and availability. For FAQs please visit the afid website
Attending one of the AfID Workshops also offers invaluable insights, explaining sector jargon and demonstrating the ways accountants can navigate complex environments, in a fun and informative way. It also presents a great networking opportunity with 25 other like-minded accountants AfID’s founder and ex-Oxfam FD in attendance.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's