Treasurer and Company Secretary (voluntary)
|Job Title:||Treasurer and Company Secretary (voluntary)|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Job Published:||September 24, 2018 17:14|
Are we looking for you?
We are looking for a volunteer Treasurer who would be a member of the Board of Trustees of Ascension Eagles Cheerleaders (AEC).
Our current Treasurer, David Robinson (who is an ICAEW member) has successfully held the role for many years but would now like to make the most of his retirement, which will mean reducing the hours he can give to his charity commitments.
We therefore need a new Treasurer who will:
- Oversee the financial affairs of AEC and our Talent Central gym and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report to the Board on the financial health of the organisation.
- Oversee the production of our annual budget, financial reports/returns, accounts and annual examination.
What exactly does this involve?
The Treasurer will be required to:
- Liaise with relevant staff of AEC and Board committee members to ensure the financial viability of the organisation.
- Make fellow Board members aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Regularly report the financial position at Board meetings (balance sheet, cash flow, fundraising performance etc).
- Oversee the production of an annual budget and propose its adoption at the last meeting of the previous financial year (usually July).
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place, ie:
- Cheque signatories
- Purchasing procedures and limits
- Petty cash/ float
- Salary payments
- PAYE and NI payments
- Others as appropriate.
- Appraise and guide on the financial viability of plans, proposals and feasibility studies.
- Lead on appointing and liaising with an independent examiner (currently MHA MacIntyre Hudson).
Who is responsible for our finance functions?
AEC's part-time finance manager undertakes all the daily book-keeping functions. This includes bookkeeping duties, invoicing, paying bills, maintaining the petty cash system and processing petty cash claims.
The Director of AEC collects payments for sale invoices and supervises the front desk where members pay in cash. The Finance Manager oversees and posts these entries weekly.
- Oversees review & reconciliations by our appointed external finance consultant in regular (typically quarterly) meetings with the Finance Manager and Director.
- As required, reviews and approves payments to creditors as appropriate and arranges appropriate signatures on payments; and arrangements to collect payments from debtors.
- Produces Quarterly management reports for the management team and the Board.
- Prepares the Annual Accounts:
- At the year-end the Treasurer prepares/reviews various summaries and analyses needed by the Independent Examiner’s staff to perform their examination. They then produce the annual report.
- The Director, Chair and Treasurer jointly produce the Trustee Report for the Annual Report.
- The Treasurer liaises with the Independent Examiner to ensure the review and reports are completed in a timely manner. Typically, the report is ready for review by the trustees by end November - three months after the year end.
And there are Company Secretarial responsibilities ...
As a small charity, we also require the Treasurer to fulfil the role of Company Secretary, with some support from the part-time finance manager.
This simply involves filing documents (eg changes of trustee/director) and filing electronic returns with Companies House and with Charities Commission.
Do you have what we need ...?
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising finance practice relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- A desire to make a difference to lives of young people in one of London's most ethnically diverse and economically-challenged boroughs.
Interested? Want to apply or know more?
If you think you'd find this volunteer opportunity fulfilling or if you'd like to find out more, then please drop an email to David Robinson. We look forward to hearing from you!
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's