Treasurer and Accountant Trustee
|Job Title:||Treasurer and Accountant Trustee|
|Contact Name:||Emily Jewell|
|Job Published:||March 14, 2019 13:58|
Upper Norwood Library Trust (UNLT), a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, was started as a social enterprise in 2012 by a few local residents who had been part of a wider campaign to keep the local library open and funded by two local authorities seeking to withdraw funding and became fully operational in 2016. We receive rapidly reducing funding from the two local authorities and are increasingly having to rely on constant fundraising to meet expenses. Many of our community activities are funded by specific grants.
Our highly valued and committed Treasurer has been with UNLT for over 5 years and helped the organisation through its start up phase to today’s range of busy charitable and commercial operational activities; she has now resigned due to family commitments but is happy to provide a handover and ad hoc support to the new Treasurer. She says ‘Working with UNLT has been a fantastic and rewarding experience with friendly, knowledgeable and committed fellow trustees and executive staff for a really worthwhile cause. All UNLT Trustees are committed to sustaining the organisation and bettering the lives of as many local residents as they can.
Treasurer/Trustee Role Description
The Treasurer takes the lead in overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation. The Treasurer will assist other trustees to perform their financial duties by interpreting and explaining financial reports and accounting requirements, ensuring that the Board receives reports containing the information trustees need in an easy to understand format. He/she will also review financial reports required to be submitted to our funders.
The Hub Manager, supported by the Hub Directors, maintains the accounting system (Xero) and we are also seeking a (voluntary) bookkeeper/accountant. Currently the Treasurer’s regular duties are to:
- review and approve the monthly payroll (6 employees on regular full or part time hours plus 3 on occasional variable hours)
- review and finalise quarterly management accounts including reliable cash forecasts
- prepare statutory year end accounts compliant with the Charities SORP FRS102 and Company law.
Our annual income and expenditure for 2017/18 were: Income- £294,523 Expenditure- £209,807.
Personal and professional qualities and experience:
- Commitment to the organisation and its purpose
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort (average 8-10 hrs per month).
- Relevant financial qualifications and experience. Experience of charity finance and accounting or an interest in getting to grips with these rapidly, including fund accounting.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team mainly as a ‘critical friend’, overseeing rather than ‘doing’ except in very few pre-agreed discrete areas
- Sound independent judgement
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Strategic vision and ability to think creatively
- Interest in the non-financial aspects of the organisation
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- Preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
Board and Committee meetings and length of tenure
- UNLT Trustees meet quarterly at the library in Upper Norwood SE19.
- The Treasurer chairs the Finance Committee which also meets quarterly ahead of the main Trustee board meetings
- Trustees retire by rotation (one third of the Board each year) and may be re-elected immediately. We very much hope our new Treasurer will stay as long as our previous one!
Please upload a covering letter as asked by ICAEW explaining why this role appeals to you and what you can bring to UNLT. If you would like further information and organisational documents, please contact Emily.Jewell@unlt.org.
Closing date for applications is 12th April 2019
We will shortlist and notify all applicants as soon as possible following this date.
Very many thanks for your interest and we look forward to your application.