|Contact Name:||Caroline Robinson|
|Job Published:||April 15, 2019 14:02|
Treasurer Role Description
Term: Ideally a commitment to one term of three years
Expenses: Travel and other reasonable costs will be reimbursed according to FLEX’s Trustee Expenses Policy
Deadline: 06 May 2019
Focus on Labour Exploitation (FLEX) works to end human trafficking for labour exploitation in the UK and worldwide. FLEX’s unique approach to the problem of human trafficking is focussed on the prevention of labour rights abuses, the protection of the human rights of trafficked persons and the promotion of best practice responses to trafficking for labour exploitation. We aim to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas and different ways of working. You can find further information about FLEX on our website.
About the role
FLEX’s Board of Trustees is currently made up of nine trustees, who work together to ensure that FLEX maintains a clear strategic direction that is based on our vision and mission. FLEX’s long standing Treasurer will be stepping down from the Board in May and we are recruiting her replacement.
The purpose of FLEX’s Treasurer
- govern FLEX in line with its charitable objectives and maintain oversight of the organisation's financial affairs on behalf of the Board of Trustees; and
- provide guidance to the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive on financial stewardship of the organisation in line with the strategic aims. The Treasurer is accountable to the Board of Trustees, and may serve for a maximum of two terms each of three years.
FLEX’s trustees meet quarterly and are asked to commit an additional five to eight hours in between meetings to follow-up on actions, provide advice, and input on areas relevant to their expertise.
Specific responsibilities include
- To oversee FLEX’s compliance with statutory requirements relating to the accounts of a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity before these are presented to the Board of Trustees.
- To oversee the presentation and content of FLEX’s organisational budgets, management accounts and long-term forecasts to ensure these are appropriate to a company and a charity.
- To support the Board in ensuring sound financial management of the charity’s resources, including ensuring expenditure is in line with the charity’s objectives.
- To oversee the development and review of financial, reserves and risk management policies and protocols.
- To liaise with the Chief Executive and FLEX accounting staff or consultants as necessary on financial matters, and to meet with the external auditor at least once annually.
- Where required by FLEX financial protocols, to act as a counter-signatory on charity cheques (including any electronic transactions) and any application for funds.
- To draw any major financial concerns to the attention of the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive.
General responsibilities include
- To approve and own the strategic direction for the organisation including its vision, aims and strategies and to guide FLEX to achieve its aims in the most efficient and effective manner consistent with organisational values and approach
- To take ultimate responsibility for controlling the management and administration of FLEX while delegating management to the Chief Executive.
- To follow the FLEX Trustee code of conduct.
- To regularly monitor the context and operating environment in which FLEX works and to address emerging issues that may impact on strategy, implementation of plans or reputation with key stakeholders.
- To ensure that FLEX functions within the legal and financial requirements of a registered charity – industrial, financial, charitable, health and safety, data protection etc.
- To ensure that the policies, plans and budgets of FLEX are in keeping with its aims.
- To approve annual budgets and multi-year budget projections and to monitor progress against these and to ensure that the organisation is managing cash flow and reserves prudently.
- To ensure an ongoing risk assessment and management process is in place across FLEX that is informing policies, procedures and plans and that Trustees are updated on this and advised of any significant changes as they occur.
- To monitor and evaluate the progress of FLEX against its strategic aims, objectives and financial targets.
- Approve annual reports and accounts for FLEX.
- To ensure that annual audits are carried out across FLEX and that reports are considered by the Board as a whole.
- To employ and supervise a Chief Executive and delegate to her the management of FLEX
- To sit on Board sub-committees where possible and within area of expertise;
- To provide advice and guidance in subject areas where the Trustee has particular expertise to the Board and Chief Executive where appropriate.
We are looking for someone with a background in accountancy and experience of financial management in a large organisation at senior level. The successful candidate will have experience overseeing risk management, strong understanding of the management and legal requirements of a UK registered charity, and be prepared to make difficult and demanding recommendations to the Board.
You will also have:
- Ability to mentor and support the Chief Executive
- Understanding of and commitment to FLEX’s values and objectives
- Understanding of the legal duties, liabilities and responsibilities of trusteeship
- No current commitments that would create a conflict of interest with FLEX’s work
- Good, independent judgement
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Willingness to commit necessary time and effort
- Ability to advise on FLEX’s donor fundraising
Information and application
Should you wish to discuss the role further or to apply please complete an application pack (available on our website) and share it with FLEX Chief Executive at email@example.com by midnight on 6 May 2019.