11 days ago
Merton Voluntary Service Council is looking for a new Treasurer to join the Board of Trustees.
The Treasurer’s Trustee role will be to assist the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive Officer with the financial management of the charity, offering oversight and guidance as the organisation continues its efforts to diversify income streams. While this role does not require day to day support with the organisation’s finance activity, you will lead on the financial strategy for the charity as well as creation of the annual accounts.
We are, therefore, looking for someone with the following experience, knowledge and expertise:
- Extensive experience and proven success in financial management.
- Knowledge and experience of current finance practice, including fundraising, relevant to voluntary and community organisations.
Responsibilities of the Treasurer – MVSC
- That the finance function is carried out efficiently within financial procedures, delegating the responsibilities to the CEO.
- Responsible for facilitating the preparation of the annual account
- Ensuring that budgets, forecasts and cash flows are prepared on a timely basis.
- Review the accounting records and present the management account to the board
- To review and approve salaries on a monthly basis
- To present the examined or audited accounts at the AGM.
Attributes of MVSC’S Board Members
- An enthusiasm for the work of MVSC and a willingness to act as an advocate.
- A commitment to promote the value and services of the voluntary and community sector, volunteering and community action in Merton.
- A commitment to carry out the duties of a Trustee, as a member of the Board.
- The ability to work as a member of a team and a willingness to state personal convictions and, equally, to accept a majority decision and be tolerant of the views of other people.
- A preparedness to offer personal and business skills and experience to support the work of staff and volunteers, when required.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community in order to strengthen the diversity of our Board.
What are we looking for?
All Trustee Board members must show commitment and contribution to the following principles of an effective Board:
- The Board understands its role - Trustees understand their role and responsibilities collectively and individually.
- The Board ensures that the organisation delivers its stated purposes and aims and ensures they remain relevant and valid.
- The Board works as an effective team - provides induction and ongoing training for members.
- The Board exercises effective control ensuring that the organisation understands and complies with all legal and regulatory requirements that apply to it.
- The Board behaves with integrity - safeguards and promotes the organisation’s reputation.
- The Board is open and accountable - leads the organisation in being open and accountable, both internally and externally.
What difference will you make?
MVSC is the umbrella infrastructure support organisation for the voluntary sector in Merton. We work collaboratively with the public and private sectors. The demand for our services is growing because of the increasing social and economic challenges faced by residents. Our organisation is changing to become more agile and responsive to meet these needs. We are seeking a treasurer to join us in this journey to transform MVSC to an exemplar infrastructure support organisation locally and among its peers regionally and nationally. Also, to help us foster social value in Merton by enabling voluntary and community organisations to provide quality services that meet the needs of local people and improve their lives.
- Contributing to a great cause – supporting local charities and the people they serve
- Join an excellent Board of Trustees with a clear strategic direction
- Receive an induction about MVSC’s role as an umbrella infrastructure organisation for the local voluntary and community sector
What's in it for the volunteer?
- Gain a better understanding of the work of charities and the voluntary and community sector in Merton, our statutory partners and Merton in general.
- Strategic experience – critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Professional networks – meeting diverse professionals
- Developing skills and experience – adapting your professional knowledge
- Team working – constructively challenge ideas, interpersonal skills
- Give you the opportunity to contribute in your own way to improving the lives and wellbeing of local people.
- Up to six board meetings a year (2hrs each), excluding the AGM and Strategy Away Day. Meetings are currently held at MVSC’s offices in Vestry Hall, 336 London Road, Mitcham, Surrey CR4 3UD. There may also be additional Task & Finish Groups e.g. for finance/fundraising, legal, HR and staffing review issues. Preparation time to read documents and liaise with fellow Trustees.
- A commitment to attend some MVSC events and any other key meetings, where appropriate.
Before you apply
Please send a brief CV and a 200-word statement outlining what you would contribute to MVSC. Application to be addressed to: Khadiru Mahdi, Chief Executive and Company Secretary. Closing date for applications is 27 March 2019.