11 days ago
About Transform Justice
A small justice reform charity,Transform Justice punches well above its
weight. Committed to creating a fairer, more transparent, effective and
humane justice system, the charity promotes change by generating original
research, influencing public opinion and lobbying practitioners and
politicians. For more information please visit:
Transform Justice was founded six years ago by its Director Penelope Gibbs,
a former magistrate and BBC producer who has worked in the criminal justice
sector for many years. The charity currently has four trustees, one of whom
(the Treasurer) needs to stand down for family reasons.
Overview of the Treasurer Role
Transform Justice now has an exciting opening for a Treasurer to oversee the
charity’s financial matters, in accordance with charity law and best practice.
Transform Justice’s finances are in a strong position and the Treasurer will
help to ensure and maintain the charity’s strong sustainable future.
The Treasurer will liaise with the Director and Transform Justice’s Accountant
to ensure that appropriate financial controls and procedures are in place, and
are complied with. He or she will also advise and report to other Trustees at
The Board is looking for a Treasurer with strong, practical financial skills and
an ability to communicate clearly to other Trustees about key financial
matters, budgets and funding. An interest in justice reform issues is an
advantage, but is not essential.
Specific duties of the Treasurer
The key roles and responsibilities of the Treasurer are to:
• Keep the Board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
• Ensure appropriate accounting procedures and internal controls are in place
to safeguard the charity’s financial integrity.
• Advise the Board of Trustees on the approval of budgets, accounts and
financial statements, within Transform Justice’s financial policy framework.
• Ensure that the financial resources of the charity meet its present and future
needs and that there are appropriate reserves in place.
• Contribute to the organisation’s fundraising strategy.
• Ensure that the organisation applies its resources exclusively to pursue its
- Transform Justice seeks someone with:
- Experience of overseeing organisational finances
- Commitment to meeting the legal duties and responsibilities of
- Trusteeship (Transform Justice will fund relevant Trusteeship training
- for the successful candidate, if required)
- Ability and willingness to provide some practical financial support to
- Transform Justice’s Director and Accountant, as well as fulfilling a
- financial oversight role
- Interest in contributing thinking to the overall strategic development of
- Transform Justice, as part of a small Trustee Board
- Commitment to the mission and vision of Transform Justice, with the
- communication skills to provide appropriate support and challenge
- Relevant financial qualifications would be a bonus but are not
The Treasurer will be required to:
- Attend approximately four Trustee meetings per year.
- Spend approximately one hour per month liaising with and overseeing
- the Director and Accountant.
- At certain times of year the Treasurer may need to spend some
- additional time advising other Trustees outside of meetings.
This position is unpaid but travel expenses may be claimed.
How to apply
Please send a CV with a covering letter explaining why you want and are
suitable for the role to Philippa Budgen: email@example.com.