30 days ago
Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE)
CPRE campaigns for a sustainable future for the English countryside, a vital but undervalued environmental, economic and social asset to the nation.
We want a thriving countryside for everyone to enjoy – today and for generations to come. Join our Board as Treasurer and help us in our mission to promote, enhance and protect our countryside.
To provide leadership to the Board on financial matters and assist Board Members to fulfil their duties and responsibilities for the proper governance of the charity.
The Treasurer Trustee will Chair the Finance, Audit and Corporate Services Committee, and, with the committee:
- Guide and advise the Board in directing the financial affairs of CPRE and monitoring its financial performance, ensuring it is financially stable, well run and delivering the charity’s charitable objectives
- Ensure CPRE’s financial resources meet its present and future needs and that there are appropriate reserves and investment policies
- Monitor CPRE’s investment activity and ensure its investment policy is consistent with its policies, aims, objectives and legal responsibilities
- Liaise with and provide advice and support to the Director of Finance & Corporate Services and Chief Executive on related matters work with the rest of the Board to set CPRE’s strategic direction, help achieve its objectives and uphold its values;
- Ensure the accounts are properly audited, that accepted recommendations of the auditors are implemented and provide financial expertise to the Committee
- Ensure that appropriate risk management processes are in place
- Support work to build relationships with potential donors and other fundraising contacts
- Occasionally, to represent CPRE at meetings and functions and act as a spokesperson as appropriate, including formally presenting the accounts at the annual general meeting
- Significant effective financial leadership experience, at Board level, in an organisation of some complexity
- Qualified Accountant – ACA,CIMA,ACCA or equivalent
- Proven strategic thinking ability combined with the ability to process detail and get to the heart of an issue
- Some experience of chairing, either in the public, private or voluntary sectors
- Ability to network and build relationships at very senior levels, especially fundraising relationships
- Ability to devote the necessary time and effort needed for this role
- The ability to operate impartially and objectively, including the necessity to avoid any perception of political partiality or alignment
- Excellent communication skills and able to demonstrate tact and diplomacy
- A willingness to demonstrate commitment to CPRE, including its Vision and Values
- Experience and understanding of the responsibilities of charity trustees
- Strong knowledge of the charity sector
What’s in it for the Volunteer?
This role is for a candidate who cares about the countryside, is interested in a range of issues around the natural environment, and wants to be part of an organisation that campaigns to protect the countryside for people.
Board meeting dates in 2019 are 21 March, 8-9 May, 13 June, 12 September and 12 December. The AGM and Annual Conference will be held on 26-27 June, in Birmingham.
Board meeting start at 10.45am and generally finish by 3.30pm. Four of the meetings are held at our office in London, the fifth is a two-day meeting (including an overnight stay) at a location outside of London.
Overall, this role requires about 12 days per year including formal Board meeting commitments.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a CV and short covering letter via Reach Volunteering. Your covering letting should explain your interest in CPRE, how you meet the job specification and how your skills and experience will strengthen their board. If you would like an informal conversation the CEO, Crispin Truman or the Finance Director, Mark Cornish, they are delighted to speak with anyone interested in the role. Please let us know if this is something you would like us to arrange on your behalf.
The deadline for applications is 22nd March 2019.