|Salary:||Unpaid voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||February 05, 2019 12:26|
Reach Volunteering are working with Refugee and Migrant Forum of Essex and London (RAMFEL) in the recruitment of a new Treasurer to join their board.
RAMFEL is a charity that supports vulnerable migrants to access justice and also provides vital support in moments of individual crisis. With a yearly budget of around £200,000 per annum, RAMFEL runs a busy client facing service seeing around 1000 clients a year.
We are never afraid to speak out, to challenge discrimination, or to make those with power fully aware of the consequences of their decisions on the dis-empowered.
The appointed Treasurer will be responsible for maintaining an overview of the organisation's financial affairs and ensuring its long term financial viability. This involves ensuring proper financial records are kept, the Board is kept up to date with the organisation’s current financial state by being made aware of any risks or uncertainties, and that proper procedures are maintained in line with auditing requirements.
- Overseeing the development of the budgets, accounts and financial statements (which is carried out on a day to day basis by the Admin Officer and Bookkeeper) and ensuring these are appropriately reported to, and approved by the board
- Identifying any financial risks facing the organisation and recommending appropriate action.
- Ensuring that the organisation has a robust Fundraising Strategy and monitoring its implementation and reporting on it the Board.
- Advising on whether the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs, and on any remedial action required, ensuring that the organisation has an appropriate Reserves Policy.
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place, in line with audit and Charity Commission/Companies House requirements.
- Ensuring that the organisation has appropriate financial policies in place
- Liaising with CEO and other managers about financial matters.
- Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate investment policy and monitoring it.
- Ensuring that any restricted funds received for specific purposes are appropriately spent and accounted for.
- Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and relevant statutory bodies.
- Liaising with the Charity’s auditors, including chairing an annual meeting with the auditors to discuss the Auditor’s Report and Accounts before reporting on this to the Board.
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting in a coherent and clear way.
- Taking responsibility to act as a counter signatory on the organisation’s cheques and contracts where required.
- Financial qualifications and experience.
- Qualified accountant would be desirable.
- Experience of charity finance specifically would be desirable.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board.
- A preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board.
- A willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquires on an ad hoc basis.
What difference will you make?
Given that RAMFEL is a small organisation your involvement will have a big impact on the work of the organisation and by joining this collaborative board you will help the organisation to continue providing invaluable support to their beneficiaries
What's in it for the volunteer?
This is a great time to join the board at RAMFEL. The board are currently writing a new business strategy and providing your financial oversight will provide huge opportunities for the organisation to grow. Having sound financial management in place will also enable the organisation to refocus their efforts on campaigning and advocacy work.
- The Board of Trustees meets bi-monthly. In the alternate months the Management Group, made up of members of the board, hold meetings to oversee the organisation’s direction of travel on a micro level. Recommendations from this group require ratification from the Board of Trustees.
- The Board usually meets in the evenings and meetings last around an hour and a half.
Before you apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's