|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Reference:||GADN Treasurer September 2018|
|Contact Name:||Natasha Piette Basheer|
|Job Published:||September 17, 2018 16:07|
The Gender and Development Network (GADN) brings together expert NGOs, consultants, academics and individuals committed to working on gender, development and women’s rights issues. Our vision is of a world where social justice and gender equality prevail and where all women and girls are able to realise their rights free from discrimination. Our goal is to ensure that international development policy and practice promotes gender equality and women’s and girls’ rights. Our role is to support our members by sharing information and expertise, to undertake and disseminate research, and to provide expert advice and comment on government policies and projects. More information on our work can be found at www.gadnetwork.org.
The network is governed by the Board of Trustees. Together with the Co-Chairs, the Treasurer is one of the Officers of the Board.
- To maintain oversight of the organisation’s financial affairs on behalf of the Board of Trustees.
- To provide guidance to the Board of Trustees and Secretariat on financial stewardship of the organisation in line with the strategic aims.
- To support the Director in facilitating discussions on financial planning with the Board
- To provide support to the Secretariat in carrying out the financial management of the network
Responsibilities as Treasurer
- To oversee GADN’s compliance with the legal and financial requirements of a company limited by guarantee on budgets and accounts before these are presented to the Board of Trustees.
- To work in partnership with the Secretariat to: prepare the annual budget; prepare, review and approve the Annual Accounts, ensuring they meet statutory requirements.
- To ensure that all pension and national insurance payments are made.
- To monitor income and expenditure on bank statements each month to check against fraud.
- To be responsible for oversight of the GADN Finances Annual work-plan including legal reporting requirements to Companies House and the Charities Commission, ensuring that sound financial systems are in place in accordance with the work-plan.
- To be responsible for updating and managing elements in the risk register pertaining to financial management.
- To draw any major financial concerns to the attention of the Board of Trustees and Director.
- To advise and monitor the reserves policy to ensure it is appropriate for financial viability.
- To liaise with the external auditor / accountant to monitor the GADN budget annually.
- To induct new GADN Trustees on GADN’s management accounts.
- To present the annual accounts to the Board of Trustees, draw attention to the important points, and sign off the accounts on behalf of the Board after their approval.
- To work with the Co-Chairs on other areas where the Officers have been delegated responsibility by the Board.
- In carrying out these responsibilities the Treasurer will have the support of the Secretariat and will also have independent access to GADN’s accountant who will be available to provide advice and analysis.
- The Treasurer will be selected in line with GADN Trustee selection practices and will normally hold office for a term of two years.
- A maximum of two terms can be served.
- Time served as a Trustee prior to becoming Treasurer does not count towards the term limit for Treasurer.
- The Treasurer is required to declare to the Board of Trustees immediately any links with the auditors, suppliers, contractors, staff or any other body that has dealings with GADN in line with GADN’s conflict of interest policy applicable to all board members.
- The Treasurer is accountable to the Board of Trustees.
- Demonstrable commitment to the vision, mission, aims and values of GADN
- Skills and attributes
- Accountancy, numeracy and the ability to understand budgets are essential
- Ability to communicate financial information to those who have little financial background
- Good, independent judgement and willingness to speak their mind
- Ability to think creatively and to find solutions
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Demonstrate selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership
3. Experience and knowledge of:
- managing budgets and financial systems is essential
- gender equality and women’s rights particularly in an international context is desirable
- the role and responsibilities of a Trustee is desirable.
4. Time commitments. The Treasurer will be expected to:
- meet with the Secretariat every month, either remotely or face to face
- meet with the Officers every quarter
- provide ongoing support to staff in a small Secretariat on sound financial management, ensuring proper systems for budgeting, financial control and reporting are in place
- work with the Secretariat on the Annual Budget, Annual Accounts and other legal reporting
- oversee the budget and report to the Board on finances quarterly
- read papers and prepare for quarterly Board meetings
- respond to correspondence between Board meetings.
Time required will be approximately three days per quarter.
Please send a CV and cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria in the person specification to Natasha@gadnetwork.org by 5pm on Wednesday, 17th October 2018.
Interviews will be held at GADN’s offices on Wednesday, 31st October 2018.