|Job Published:||August 02, 2018 16:39|
Are you ready to make a real difference? Could you help shape the future of Advocacy in Barnet? We are currently seeking a motivated person to join the diverse and enthusiastic Advocacy in Barnet Board who can bring the additional skills we need to lead the charity at this pivotal moment in its history.
Advocacy in Barnet is a small but high impact, award-winning charity championing the rights of older people across the London Borough of Barnet. We offer free independent advocacy to vulnerable people aged 50 or over to resolve issues, concerns or queries they may have about their health and well-being. Our work ensures they are listened to and have choice and control when they are most vulnerable. We currently offer our unique services to upwards of 1500 older people a year.
Sadly, our current Treasurer is retiring from office after nearly 4 years. We are seeking a person with financial knowledge and experience in accounting who can strengthen the Trustee meetings and generally steer the Charity in this area. They would present monthly reports (prepared by the finance officer) to Trustees, assist with end of year preparation, support with financial issues or queries and be involved in the annual appraisal of the finance officer. We would welcome someone with experience of the charity sector.
As a charitable company limited by guarantee, Board members are both Directors and Committee Members. Board membership is a voluntary position. Reasonable expenses will be reimbursed. Advocacy in Barnet will provide support and training where required.
Committee meetings are held in the early evening on a monthly basis. We estimate an average additional one hour a week assisting with financial matters either in or out of office hours.
The Statutory Duties of all Committee Members
• To ensure that Advocacy Barnet complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
• To ensure that Advocacy Barnet pursues its objects as defined in its governing document
• To ensure Advocacy Barnet uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the charity must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities are
• To contribute actively to the Management Committee’s role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets
• To safeguard the good name and values of Advocacy Barnet
• To ensure the effective and efficient administration of Advocacy Barnet
• To ensure the financial stability of Advocacy Barnet
• To protect and manage the property of the charity and to ensure the proper investment of Advocacy Barnet’s funds
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Management Committee reach sound decisions. This may involve:
• Scrutinising Committee Meetings papers
• Leading discussions
• Focusing on key issues
• Providing guidance on new initiatives
Other issues in which the trustee has special expertise
Additional Duties of the Treasurer:
• Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements.
• Being assured that the financial resources of the organisation meet its present and future needs.
• Ensuring that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy
• The preparation and presentation of financial reports to the board
• Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
• Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
• Monitoring any investment activity and ensuring its consistency with the organisation’s policies and legal responsibilities
• Ensuring the organisation’s compliance with legislation
• Ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured
• Ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies e.g. the Charity Commission and/or the Registrar of Companies
• Ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented
• Keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
• Making a formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way
Advocacy in Barnet are looking for:
• Financial qualifications and experience Some experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
• The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
• A preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board
• A willingness to be able to ask staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
• Commitment to the Charity
• Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
• Strategic vision
• Good, independent judgement
• Ability to think creatively
• Willingness to speak their mind
• Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team
We welcome applicants from all sections of the community. For an informal discussion or more information, please call Lizzie Sturm on 020 8201 3415.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Wetherby Fundraising Group - Treasurer
0 - 0
Nottingham Fundraising Group - Member, Chair, Secretary & Treasurer roles
Derby Fundraising Group - Member, Chair, Secretary & Treasurer roles
Leicester Fundraising Group - Member, Chair, Secretary & Treasurer roles