Rose Theatre Trust Treasurer
16 days ago
Rose Theatre Trust
The Rose Theatre Trust is a charity incorporated in 1988.
The objectives of the charity are to:
- Preserve the remains of the Rose Theatre in the London Borough of Southwark and make them accessible to the public;
- Advance the general education of the public concerning the history of the Rose Theatre and theatres and dramas existing or created in the reigns of Queen Elizabeth 1 and King James 1 of England;
- Carry out research into the history of the Rose Theatre and other theatres of the period; and
- Carry out research into the lives of Philip Henslowe and his contemporaries.
The Trust continues to focus on its campaign to raise the funds needed to deliver the Rose Revealed project. This large project, through a programme of archaeology, conservation, building and design, will create a visitor centre and performance space on the site of the late Elizabethan playhouse, so as to bring it fully back for public enjoyment in furtherance of our objectives.
More information can be found at https://roseplayhouse.org.uk
The current longstanding Treasurer is due to retire in 2022 and we are seeking someone to take over to oversee the financial management of the Trust. This is a voluntary position.
The Treasurer will work closely with the Chair of the Finance Committee to oversee the financial matters of the charity in line with best practice and in accordance with the Trust’s governing document and legal requirements, and report to the Board at regular intervals about the financial health of the organisation.
This role is critical to the smooth running and future development of the charity and the Treasurer will sit on the Finance Committee and attend the Board as required.
Working closely with the Finance & Risk Committee the Treasurer will:
- Ensure the Trust is compliant with legislation applying to its financial activities and that appropriate accounting policies, procedures, systems and controls are in place;
- Prepare the annual budget, internal management accounts and annual financial statements ;
- Report on the Trust’s financial health to the Board at regular intervals;
- Manage the Trust’s bank accounts, payments and bank reconciliations;
- To act as a signatory as required;
- Act as Company Secretary to the Trust; and
- Liaise with the Friends of The Rose on financial matters.
- Financial Management experience, including budgeting/planning, financial analysis, insurance, and financial risk management;
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to the Board and other stakeholders;
- Strong commitment to the charity’s objectives; and
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving.
- Knowledge and understanding of charity SORP;
- Membership of a recognised accounting professional body;
- Experience of producing budgets for external purposes eg. grant applications and donation programmes; and
- Experience of procurement.
The Board usually meets six times a year and the Finance Committee six times in the “off-months” in between Board meeting dates. During the pandemic, meetings are being held by Zoom, but face to face meetings will be resumed when possible.
The Treasurer will be expected to allocate around two days per month as a basic requirement, although more time might be needed from time to time for projects or specific initiatives.
The Trust is wholly committed to inclusion and diversity, and to building a culture and environment where everyone is appreciated for the contributions they make. We welcome candidates who will contribute a diversity of representation and thinking.
How to apply
Please apply by sending a brief cover letter setting out how you meet the criteria and a CV to Mike Brierley at email@example.com.
The deadline for applications is 10 February 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an informal interview in late February.
For further information or to arrange an informal discussion about the role please contact Mike Brierley.
Covid-19: The safety and wellbeing of all remains a top priority, therefore interviews will be conducted remotely by Zoom if necessary.