|Salary:||£0.00 - Voluntary|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||July 12, 2018 13:09|
About the organisation
Women for Refugee Women (WRW) is a small, dynamic charity that empowers women seeking asylum in the UK to tell their own stories, and challenges the injustices that they experience. They make a real difference by working closely with women at the grassroots, and also making an effective case for a fairer asylum process.
Women for Refugee Women works in three main ways:
- Empowering refugee women to tell their own stories by building their skills and confidence, including through English classes and drama workshops.
- Influencing wide audiences by working with arts projects, the media and events and telling human, empathetic stories in creative ways.
- Working towards change in the asylum process by publishing research and lobbying politicians and policy makers.
It’s an exciting time for the charity with some new fundraising and investment opportunities opening up following the notification of a recent legacy, so the person who steps into this role will be able to develop WRW's investment policy and positively influence their strategic direction.
About the role
Women for Refugee Women are seeking a treasurer.
WRW is a well managed charity in good financial health, with committed staff and experienced board of trustees. The treasurer plays a part in the overall governance and strategy of the organisation, and also has specific areas of responsibility including:
- Advising on any changes in charity regulation or legislation affecting WRW's accounting
- Presenting the management accounts quarterly to the board
- Ensuring that effective financial policies and procedures are in place and that accounts and records are being kept accurately and up to date
- Reviewing WRW's annual examined or audited accounts and ensuring these are submitted in a timely fashion to the Charity Commission
- Developing a relevant investment policy for the charity including the selection and oversight of professional advisors
- As a signatory of the charity bank account, WRW's treasurer also has the responsibility of approving occasional payments.
- A person of integrity who is genuinely committed to WRW and their objectives.
- Strategic vision and good independent judgement.
- Readiness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as Treasurer.
- Good understanding of charity accounting rules/SORP and the ability to read and review financial reports.
- Ability to communicate the key financial issues to other trustees so there is clear shared ownership of decisions.
- Experience or understanding of developing and implementing a charity’s investment policy.
- Experience of the accountancy process of a small charity.
- Accountancy qualification.
The treasurer will be expected to attend quarterly board meetings and also quarterly finance committee meetings, at flexible times.
Board meetings are current held at the organisation’s premises: near Old Street, London (Central), EC1Y 8RT
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's