about 2 months ago
Start in Salford
START is seeking a Treasurer to join our board of Trustees and lead on financial governance for the organisation, providing guidance to other board members and oversight of the charity’s finances and annual budgeting processes.
START is a Salford based mental health charity. We use creativity, connection and recovery interventions to help improve people’s lives. Our members often make remarkable progress and soon learn how to become valued members of the community, contributing in ways they themselves could never have imagined.
Being a Trustee at START will provide you with an opportunity to have a profound impact on our charity and help support the local community. You will be part of a team of Trustees, guiding the strategy of the organisation and helping it grow, whilst ensuring it always stays true to its aims. Trustees will also be non-executive directors of the charity which is a company limited by guarantee.
- To ensure that START complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulation.
- To ensure that START pursues its charitable purpose as defined in governing documents.
- To contribute actively to the board of Trustees’ integral role (in collaboration with the SMT) in setting the strategic direction of the organisation, deciding overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of START.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of START.
- To ensure the financial stability of START.
- To support the Senior Management Team.
- Meeting regularly with the Business and Finance Manager.
- Reviewing and monitoring START’s financial performance.
- Ensuring START prepares and files statutory accounts.
- Ensuring that START has robust and effective financial controls in place.
- Understanding the financial viability of projects, plans, proposals and other initiatives which may have financial, structural or reputational implications.
- Preferably a finance or accountancy background.
- A working knowledge of charity finances together with a sound knowledge of executive procedures.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good, independent judgement and the courage and willingness to speak your mind.
- A willingness to listen, reflect and respect others’ points of view.
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- An understanding of the UK charity sector, good governance, Charity Commission and Companies House requirements, relevant legislations and statutory requirements
- An understanding of the challenges facing medium sized UK charities in maximising income streams.
- Knowledge of the voluntary sector, charity governance and VCSE leadership.
- Enthusiastic and confident.
- Share our values and be supportive, friendly and sensitive to others.
This role is unpaid but all expenses properly incurred whilst discharging Trustee duties can be reimbursed.
New Trustees will receive relevant training in safeguarding, trustee roles and responsibilities, basic PREVENT awareness, plus any additional training deemed necessary. Trustees must also apply for basic DBS clearance.
The Trustee board meets formally four times per year from 6 - 8 pm. There is an expectation that board members will also need to commit time to carrying out other duties e.g. reading documents, attending sub-committee meetings and lending support where necessary. We do not envisage this taking more than 1 day per month.
For more information about START please visit our website at www.startinspiringminds.org.uk
For an application pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org