|Job Title:||Treasurer Trustee|
|Contact Name:||Caren Gestetner|
|Job Published:||February 26, 2021 14:31|
Lifting Limits CIO is seeking a Trustee Treasurer who is excited about our work to oversee our financial affairs
Lifting Limits is a charity with a mission to challenge gender stereotyping and promote gender equality, in and through education. We believe that all children should be free to make their own path in life, unconstrained by society’s expectations of them according to their gender, and our vision is that this becomes a reality for the next generation. We work with primary schools to help them recognise gender stereotyping in the school environment and to equip their pupils to challenge stereotyping wherever they encounter it. In our first three years, we have developed our whole school programme, tested it in a successful year-long pilot and enrolled a total of 22 schools to our programme, reaching nearly 10,000 children and 1,200 school staff. We are now poised to build on the success of our pilot and scale our model for dissemination through the middle tier in education (including local authorities and multi-academy trusts).
About the role
Lifting Limits is looking for someone who is excited about our work to join our board of Trustees as a hands-on Treasurer.
This voluntary role involves working closely with the Chief Executive to oversee Lifting Limits’ financial affairs. Board meetings take place in London (although virtually at present) and will typically be held 3 times a year.
Key responsibilities as Treasurer
- Working closely with the Chief Executive in relation to Lifting Limits’ financial affairs. We are a small team with limited financial expertise, although we will be looking to take on bookkeeping support. As such we are looking for a Treasurer who will be hands-on in guiding the Chief Executive on a range of financial matters, meeting regularly with the Chief Executive and available to provide advice on an ad hoc basis.
- Monitoring and reporting on the financial health of Lifting Limits, including regularly reporting the financial position at trustee meetings (management accounts, cash flow forecasting, fundraising performance etc) and ensuring that Lifting Limits has an appropriate reserves policy.
- Overseeing the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
- Leading on appointing and liaising with auditors/an independent examiner.
- Liaising with our bookkeeper (once appointed) from time to time and supporting the Chief Executive in supervising the bookkeeper’s work.
- Making fellow trustees aware of their financial obligations and taking a lead in interpreting financial data to them.
- Advising on the financial implications of Lifting Limits’ strategic and operational plans, including our fundraising strategy.
- From time to time supporting staff on the financial aspects of fundraising applications.
- Ensuring effective procedures and controls are in place, including for cheque signatories and electronic payments, salary payments, payment of pensions, PAYE and NI.
- Acting as a counter signatory on charity cheques, electronic payments and important funding applications.
- Providing oversight of the Chief Executive’s conduct of Lifting Limits’ financial affairs on behalf of the Trustees.
We are looking for applicants with experience, knowledge, skills and attributes as follows:
- Up to date knowledge and experience of finance practice relevant to small charities, including the Charities Statement of Recommended Practice.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and financial management.
- Good financial analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly.
- Values enterprising, collaborative and delivery-minded behaviours.
- Integrity, independence of thought and judgement, being prepared when necessary to make unpopular recommendations.
- Ability to work well as a team member.
It is not necessary for the Treasurer to be a qualified accountant.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
For full details and to apply visit https://www.liftinglimits.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Treasurer-role-description.pdf
Closing date 21st March.