16 days ago
Citizens Advice Camden are seeking a Treasurer with the capacity to make an active contribution to the organisation. We have been giving free, confidential, impartial advice to the local community for over 75 years. Last year over 9,000 people used our service and we helped them deal with over 22,000 different problems – most commonly with benefits, debt, and housing. As the Treasurer you will have the financial skills and acumen to help us to secure a sustainable future so we can continue to provide free independent advice services to Camden residents.
You will directly assist the CEO, the Financial Controller and the Board to ensure the organisation is financially viable, run in a prudent and effective way and making the best use of limited resources. The overall purpose of the role is to sustain an overview of the organisations financial position, ensure the financial viability and ensure that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. But we are also looking for someone to actively contribute to the Board’s role in giving firm strategic financial direction to Citizens Advice Camden.
As a member of the board of Trustees you will be able to use your skills and experience to help us maintain and develop our services, to influence policy makers both locally and nationally, and to support us with over 9,000 people we help annually.
We are looking to appoint people who have the capacity to make a significant contribution, including a commitment to attend 8 board and committee meetings a year.
Skills, qualities, knowledge and experience:
- Financial qualifications and senior experience.
- Understanding of charity finance and income generation.
- Audit and change management experience.
- Ability to monitor internal financial controls.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Preparedness to advise the Board on the appropriate financial strategy of the organisation.
- Willingness to provide advice and guidance to the CEO and Financial Controller.
- Ability to communicate financial information to a non-financial audience.
- Understanding of the financial challenges facing charitable organisations, specifically Citizens Advice Camden.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service, including those relating to equal opportunities.
We welcome applications from Camden or any London borough irrespective of ethnicity, race, nationality, disability, age, religion or belief, gender and sexual orientation. This role is voluntary and unpaid but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
You will need to make time available in the first three months to undertake a full induction to gain an understanding of the full range of services provided by Citizens Advice Camden, the challenges faced by our users and how the service is resourced and managed. The Treasurer is expected to attend all Board meetings (four a year) and the Finance Audit and Risk Standing Committee which will meet each quarter. We expect all Trustees to attend a small number of daytime and evening conferences and/or meetings including events hosted by Citizens Advice.
How to apply
Applications must be made via the TrusteeWorks Team at Reach Volunteering. Please send a letter of application (no more than two sides of A4) showing how you meet the brief, in particular the skills and experience sought, along with your CV to email@example.com . Please list any Directorships or Trusteeships that you currently hold.
The closing date for applications is 25th June 2018. Interviews will be held in the week commencing 9th July 2018. Please state if there are any dates that week you are not available.