9 days ago
START: Students and Refugees Together is a charity that work in partnership with families, individuals and organisations to facilitate the transition of refugees from people in need to self reliant contributors to their local communities. START recognises the skills and experiences that refugees bring to the city. As a learning organisation, START uniquely utilises the student placement as a resource which together with the strengths and skills of the community, we work out what support is needed and how to achieve it.
START is looking for a Treasurer to join their board and oversee the financial standing of the charity. The Board of Trustees plays a key role in the functioning and success of the charity. It sets the overall strategic direction and provides scrutiny to our processes and decisions. Trustees also ensure standards of governance are upheld as well as assessing business development, risk management and performance management. Our Trustees are key to ensuring we continue to make a positive difference to the lives of refugees.
- Oversee the financial affairs of START to ensure that they are legal, fulfil the organisation’s constitution, and conform to accepted accountancy practice.
- Ensure that financial procedures are in place and that proper records are maintained.
- Liaise with the Management Team, and the Board of Trustees to ensure financial viability.
- Ensure that financial reports are presented at Board meetings covering balance sheets, cash flow, financial projections and fundraising activities.
- Oversee production of an annual budget and its adoption by the Board of Trustees.
- Ensure that proper records are kept and that procedures and controls are in place to cover; cheque signatories, purchasing limits and systems, petty cash/float, .salary payments including pensions, national insurance a PAYE.
- Acting as signatory or second authority to process payments against invoices, payroll advice, and expenses claims.
- Liaise with the Administrative Officer over the raising of orders for capital equipment and other major purchases.
- Liaise with the Administrative Officer over the preparation of audited accounts.
- Liaison with the Management Team and where appropriate external consultants over fundraising activities.
- Empathy with refugee and asylum issues. In depth knowledge of refugee and asylum issues would be desirable
- All Trustees must be 18 years and over and have excellent communication skills with the capacity to express themselves with authority
- Experience/background in financial management, accounting, commercial awareness and/or knowledge of charity SORP would be ideal, but a willingness to learn about charity finances is acceptable
- Have a commitment to the aims of START
- Have a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort, including attending Executive Committee and other necessary meetings
- Have strategic vision and be able to understand and assess risks
- Able to exercise independent judgement and take reasonable care, skill and diligence in their role on the Board
- Be willing and able to express their views and opinions and promote the success of START
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Be able to work effectively as a member of a team and to maintain good working relations.
What difference will you make?
Your financial expertise will help us continue ensuring our charity’s sustainability by providing proficient monitoring of our accounts and budgets.
What is in it for the volunteer?
Being a Trustee at START is a hugely rewarding opportunity: you will be part of a group of people that are passionate about improving the lives of refugees in Plymouth and Cornwall and supporting START to develop and deliver projects and activities to achieve this aim.
- The board meets every 3 months in Plymouth. These are usually held on Tuesdays 11am-1pm. We would expect Trustees to be able to attend most of these meetings and we can support digital attendance if needed.
- Business meetings are held every quarter if needed.
- Availability via phone or email to the Chair for advice from time to time.
- Attend ad hoc meetings with the fundraisers and management team
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.