Parminder Athwal (Trustee)
10 days ago
Calthorpe Community Garden
Calthorpe Community Garden is an asset of community value, innovative and unique in London. As an inner city community garden and centre it exists to improve the physical and emotional wellbeing of those who live, work or study in Camden and surrounding areas. Supporting children, young people and vulnerable groups in the community, Calthorpe proudly offers a range of participatory and supervised creative, wellbeing, horticultural and sporting activities for people to meet and take care of each other and the environment, as well as programmes generating vital revenue. We are active members of a wide range of local, Camden and London-wide partnerships.
About the role/what we are looking for
We are seeking an enthusiastic individual who understands the importance of strong governance, bringing innovative ideas and enthusiasm to help deliver services that enhance the lives of vulnerable people in the community. The Treasurer is an important and valuable part of the Trustee Board assisting in monitoring, understanding and communicating the accounts and budgets to the Board. The Treasurer should be able to highlight any improvements or risks for the financial wellbeing of the Calthorpe.
- Ensure compliance with ongoing accounting best practice, policies, regulations and effective financial procedures
- Review and provide advice on the necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits delivered to the Board
- Working with the Director and Chair in providing firm governance and strategic financial direction
- Provide guidance to the Board on financial matters
- Brainstorm the financial implications of any new initiatives
- Chair the financial sub-committee (if it is required)
Experience and qualities required
- Qualified accountant or demonstrable financial experience
- Experience within the charity sector desirable but not mandatory
- Proven ability to communicate effectively and explain financial information in its simplest forms
- Analytical and evaluation skills are paramount and ability to demonstrate balanced sound judgement
- Compliance with the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Passionate about the third sector
What difference will you make?
The Treasurer is a key role in overseeing the financial health of the organisation which is vital for shaping a well-governed charity, sustainable for the future.
What’s in it for you?
It is an exciting time to join Calthorpe in making decisions about growing its current offerings to the community and playing an important part in realising a range of medium to long term strategic opportunities for the Garden
- Working closely with local partners, including the London Borough of Camden, to deliver a growing and important Public Health remit
- Collaborating on various initiatives across the Camden Borough and with bodies such as University College London. A new world class Centre of Excellence (Dementia Research Institute) - part of the Knowledge Quarter - is to be developed on land immediately adjoining our Garden and we are discussing opportunities to cooperate
- At present, the Board meets once a month on Zoom, but pre covid-19 once every 2 months and one Annual General Meeting
- Other communication via email or telephone with any specific financial matters to review such as accounts
How to apply
We would love to hear from you. We welcome applications from Camden or any London borough irrespective of ethnicity, race, nationality, disability, age, religion or belief, gender and sexual orientation. This role is voluntary and unpaid but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Please send your CV and a cover letter (no more than one side of A4) demonstrating your suitability for the role by Friday 24 July 2020.
Thank you for your interest, we look forward to hearing from you.
Reference ID: CCG Treasurer
Job Type: Volunteer