|Salary:||Unpaid voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||October 05, 2020 16:20|
Open Door Taunton is a charity committed to helping those without homes in the Taunton and surrounding areas. We offer warmth, food and advice. We are looking for a new Treasurer with a sound financial background to maintain an overview of the organisation’s affairs, ensuring its financial viability and ensuring that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. The Treasurer may also take a greater role in the day-today finances of the organisation when appropriate.
About the role
The Treasurer will:
- Oversee the financial affairs of the organisation and ensure they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice.
- Explore finance innovation and guide the implementation of positive change.
- Ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place.
- Monitor and report on the financial health of the Organisation.
- Oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, and management accounts.
- Act as a reference point for the other committee members: clarifying financial implications of proposals; confirming legal requirements; outlining the current financial status; and retrieving relevant documentation.
- Will be a member of the Finance Committee who monitor financial governance of the Charity
- Review and advise on the updating and improvement of written Financial Procedures
General financial oversight:
- Oversee and present budgets, accounts and financial statements to the board of Trustees.
- Liaise with designated staff about financial matters.
- Ensure that appropriate financial systems and controls are in place.
- Ensure that record-keeping meet the conditions of funders or statutory bodies.
- Ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Share information with other members of the Finance Committee.
- Ensure use of funds complies with conditions set by funding bodies.
- Ensure fundraising and sales complies with relevant legislation and is bound by effective financial systems and controls.
- Ensure effective monitoring and reporting
Financial planning and budgeting:
- Prepare and present annual budgets.
- Advise on financial implications of strategic and operational plans.
- Prepare and present 3 monthly management accounts.
- Present revised financial forecasts based on actual spend.
- Liaison with the Centre Manager to facilitate the timely production of accurate cost information from the Centre.
- Provide all the necessary information to enable the Statutory Accounts to be formulated by an external Accountant and filed at Company House.
- Arrange for the Statutory Accounts to be independently examined.
- File reports with the Charity Commission
- Advise on the organisation's reserves and investment policy.
- Present accounts at the AGM.
Banking, Procurement and Payments
- Monitor the bank accounts and be a joint signatory
- Supervise the bookkeeping and payment systems
- Set-up and monitor direct debits
- Oversee the external system for payment of staff salaries
- Ensure that proper records of financial activities are kept
- Monitor the bookkeeping and payment systems
- Financial qualifications and experience.
- Qualified accountant would be desirable.
- Experience of charity finance specifically would be desirable.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and to management.
- Concern for people who are experiencing difficulties in life and a dedication to helping the homeless.
What difference will you make?
By becoming Treasurer for Open Door Taunton you will be helping to ensure that the organisation continues to provide an invaluable service to homeless people, especially those who are sleeping outdoors. Without our volunteers, and support from donors, we would not be able to make such a difference in people’s lives.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You will be joining a fantastic team of over 40 volunteers who enable us to make positive changes in people’s lives. This is an opportunity to be part of a hands on team who are highly engaged and committed to ensuring people have their basic needs met and are helped to move forward in their lives.
The board usually meets four times a year in the evening at the centre in Taunton. The finance committee also meet remotely four times a year. Additionally, the Treasurer spends approximately 2 days per month on Open Door business.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.