28 days ago
Chain of Hope
Chain of Hope - Treasurer
Message from Emma Scanlan, Chief Executive
Thank you for your interest in applying to be a Chain of Hope Treasurer. This is a voluntary role advising and reporting into the Charity’s Governing Board of Trustees.
Chain of Hope is an international medical charity that helps children and young adults with heart disease. Established over 20 years ago by its French counterpart La Chaine de l’espoir, Chain of Hope provides medical aid for children and young adults by either bringing them to the UK for treatment or mobilizing medical teams to conduct missions to treat 10-15 patients at one time. The charity purchases medical supplies and equipment for its partner hospitals overseas and works to develop local capacity to help develop cardiac services in a handful of countries.
We collaborate with other cardiac charities around the world and partner hospitals to achieve the highest level of care possible for these young patients.
We have helped local charities in Ethiopia, Egypt, Uganda, Mozambique and Jamaica in particular. This year we hope to open the first peadiatric cardiac unit in Jamaica within the grounds of the general children’s hospital.
The charity is based across two office sites at the Royal Brompton Hospital and the Harley Street Clinic currently governed by a board of 6 Trustees, the current acting Treasurer, was previously a member of the board for 5 years and this is a role that would potentially become a Trustee role after the first six months of service.
The Board is keen to widen its diversity. We would welcome applications from people from diverse backgrounds.
This is a great opportunity for the right person and we are looking for someone energetic and passionate about our work and able to support the CEO with the financial management of the charity. The role is fairly hands on with a requirement to meet in the office at least twice per month and report to the Board quarterly and to be available via email and telephone for support to the Finance Officer and CEO. In addition, we will require assistance with signing off payments online for larger charity expenditure. If you think you have the time and skills to advise the charity and help us implement new and more efficient finance systems and monitor the financial health of the Charity.
Treasurer - Job Description
The Organisation and role
Chain of Hope provides children suffering from life-threatening heart disease with the vital treatment they desperately need, aiming to establish locally sustainable paediatric cardiac facilities in developing and war-torn countries. Chain of Hope provides cardiac care by sending volunteer medical teams overseas to treat children in-country, enabling the local medical staff to have invaluable hands on experience. The charity also invests in equipment and infrastructure, as well as on training programmes for local medics and nurses. Chain of Hope is working to establish locally sustainable cardiac programmes in Jamaica, Ethiopia, Uganda, Egypt and Mozambique. The charity reaches children from many more countries through its UK Programme, which brings children to leading UK and European referral hospitals for open and close heart operations. The charity was founded in 1995 by Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub, OM, FRS, and is based on the principle of a ‘chain’ of volunteers that link together to help children in need. These vital links include medical volunteers, host families, hospital trusts and all the donors that enable the charity to bring hope for a healthy life to sick children around the world.
Chain of Hope is a registered charity in the UK no. 1081384.
Key tasks of the role:
- Play a key role in overseeing the existing finance staff and advising on developing new systems and procedures as the charity grows
- Oversee the framework of internal controls, policies, procedures and delegated responsibilities
- Report Quarterly to the Board
- Support the Finance staff in compiling the annual accounts, budgeting, cash flow and management accounts processes
- Play a key role in liaising with the Charity’s external auditors
- Monitor the charity’s reserves and use of funds
- Oversee the risk management framework and review the risk registers
- Ensure compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Be a champion of the values of the organisation
- Empathetic to the values and objectives of Chain of Hope.
- Willingness to spend the required amount of time on Chain of Hope work (of at least two days per month).
- Energetic and committed
- Positive attitude to change ‘can-do’ approach – but also pragmatic and realistic
- Commercially minded and Charity experience
- Team player
Core Skills and Experience:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience of overseeing Finance staff and completing annual accounts
- An understanding of key aspects of governance, including (but not limited to) the development of strategic plans, financial probity/transparency, risk management and the implications of conflicts of interest
Financial Skills and Experience:
- Qualified accountant
- Able to present financial information to non-financial colleagues in an understandable manner
- Able to analyse & interpret financial statements and information in order to advise staff and trustees
- Experience of internal controls and risk management
- Experience of liaising with external auditors
- A knowledge of Charity SORP is essential
You will be expected to prepare for and attend all Board meetings of Chain of Hope (currently 4 per year).
Application process and timetable
Candidates should provide a CV and a covering letter which sets out relevant experience, skills and the reasons for your interest becoming the Treasurer of Chain of Hope and supporting the Charity’s Chairman, CEO and Finance Officer, reflecting the Job Description and Person Specification.
Please let us know if you have any access requirements so we can make appropriate adjustments for you to attend an interview.
Please send (via e mail only) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require any further information, please visit our website www.chainofhope.orgor contact us on 020 73511978