|Contact Name:||Mary McGrath|
|Job Published:||December 23, 2019 11:56|
FoodCycle is an award winning national charity delivering volunteer powered community dinning Projects across England. We build communities in our Projects by combining surplus food, volunteers and spare kitchen spaces to create nutritious, three-course meals for the community. We currently have 41 Projects and open our doors every week to 1500 people who are at risk of hunger and loneliness.
We have 4 main aims:
- To strengthen communities
- To encourage friendships
- To improve nutrition and reduce hunger
- To change attitudes towards food and to reduce food waste
Our head office is in London and we have 41 projects across the country serving 1500 guests a week.Founded 10 years ago, our annual turnover has grown steadily over the years to over £700,000. We are in an exciting phase of growth.
For further information, please visit our website www.foodcycle.org.uk
Role of Trustee
- To ensure that FoodCycle complies with our governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations and that we pursue our Objects as defined in our governing document
- To ensure that we apply our resources exclusively in pursuance of FoodCycle's Objects and that we are efficiently and effectively managed
- To safeguard the good name and values of FoodCycle
- To ensure the financial stability of FoodCycle
- To appoint the Chief Executive Officer and monitor his/her performance.
- To sit on safeguarding, remuneration and other panels as required
In addition to the above statutory duties, we ask our trustees to use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions. You will gain knowledge and understanding of the charity’s key processes which will enhance your career development. To carry out your role we will invest in training where there are gaps and seek to progress you if the opportunity arises.
Responsibility of Treasurer
As Honorary Treasurer you will be responsible for:
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensuring they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Liaising with the CEO and finance manager to ensure the financial viability of the organisation and to set budgets
- Ensuring proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures are in place
- Monitoring and reporting on the financial health and financial risk management of the organisation to the Board, and taking a lead in interpreting financial data for them
- Overseeing the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts independent examinations/audits
- Ensuring that FoodCycle has appropriate financial, reserves and investment policies
- Advising on the financial implications of the organisation’s strategic plans
- Leading on appointing and overseeing the work of independent examiners / auditors.
You will need to have professional financial qualifications and strong analytical skills; relevant knowledge of charity finance and auditing/ accounting would be useful. We want someone who is committed, astute, community minded, can think flexibly and who is willing to speak their mind.
It is also important that you have the time to commit to the role. As Treasurer, you will need to spend time reviewing FoodCycle’s finances prior to the Board Meetings, and at any other time as necessary. We will invest in training and mentoring for you as necessary in accordance with your experience as a trustee.
The Board and Committee meetings are normally held in central London. Trustees meet 4-5 times a year, and attend the FoodCycle annual conference held on a weekend in October. Trustees serve three years on the FoodCycle Board with an option to extend if necessary.
This is not a remunerated position.
Applying for this role
What to send: A CV of no more than two sides, and a covering note/letter of no more than two sides explaining why you are suitable for the role.
Where to send it: Stephen Catling, Chair of Trustee by email to Trustee@foodcycle.org.uk
Start: March 2019
FoodCycle is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. The role advertised is ‘Regulated Activity’ and as such is not exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and that all potential applicants will be subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure check
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's