8 days ago
At RSVP, we believe that everyone deserves a life free from sexual violence and abuse. We offer empathic services to support and inspire children and adults of all genders who have been affected by sexual violence and abuse.
We are looking for a Trustee who could take over from the existing Treasurer when they step down. This will not be immediate which will allow for a hand over period for the new Trustee to learn about the organisation and the role.
The Treasurer is an officer of the RSVP Board of Trustees. The role of the Treasurer is to ensure that the finances and supporting financial control systems are kept in order. The Treasurer is not a bookkeeper, nor is the position a paid one. The Treasurer does not hold or maintain the financial records and does not have sole control of the cheque book. The Treasurer delegates the day-to-day financial management of the Charity to the CEO.
What are we looking for?
- Financial qualifications or experience
- Experience or knowledge of charity finance fundraising is desirable
- The ability to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
- The ability to make unpopular recommendations to the Board
- Commitment to the Rape and Sexual Violence Project for the period of election and the willingness to devote the time and effort required.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Strategic vision.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Willingness to speak their mind.
- Ability to make sense of paperwork and focus clearly on relevant issues.
- Appreciation of the role of the voluntary sector.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and, at the same time, to be confident about expressing good, independent judgement.
Please note, our strategic aim is to apply to become a member of Rape Crisis England and Wales. This requires the Vice Chair and Chair to be female and overall 75% of the Board must be female too. Given the current make up of our board we are only accepting applications from women at this time in order to meet this requirement.
We are also keen to increase representation on our board. We would especially welcome applications from people from a variety of ethnic minority backgrounds and younger people.
There is an induction process in place to ensure new trustees feel welcome and informed.
What difference will you make?
You will have the opportunity to help set the future direction of the organisation, shape the strategic business plan and monitor performance to ensure that we meet the needs of our beneficiaries.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
You will be joining a friendly and committed board. By providing your skills and experience you will help to ensure that the organisation continues to provide its invaluable services to the beneficiaries.
It is estimated that trustees can expect to commit approximately 50 hours a year / 12.5 hours per quarter to RSVP Board and related activities including:
- Management Committee meetings
- Sub-committee activities
- Attendance at one or two training / planning sessions
- Reading Management Committee papers etc.
- Please note that board meetings are held outside working hours.
Additional time commitment as Treasurer: Variable but estimated as at least 25 hours per year, 4 hours per quarter.
A few more details
We do need a DBS check, we cannot accept a DBS check done by another agency but we can accept an online portable one. Also, for safeguarding we do require two references and an interview to take place with two people. All Board members will be entitled to payment of expenses incurred in carrying out their duties, in line with the charity’s financial procedures.
Before you apply
In order to apply please request a copy of the application form.