30 days ago
Cavernoma Alliance UK
Cavernoma Alliance UK (CAUK) is seeking a financial professional to join our Board of Trustees as Treasurer.
1 in 625 people have a cavernoma; a cluster of abnormal blood vessels in the brain or spine that look like a raspberry. Symptomatic cavernoma can cause strokes, seizures, partial or full paralysis, sight, speech or hearing problems as well as other serious symptoms. At Cavernoma Alliance UK, we give person-centred, holistic support – we provide practical information, advice, emotional support and a community for people impacted by Cavernoma. Our longer-term ambition is to improve treatment, find a cure and prevent the condition.
What will you be doing?
As Treasurer on our Board of Trustees, you will play a lead role to ensure effective financial management of the charity, in line with best practice and in compliance with the governing document and legal requirements. You will work with the Chair of the Board and the CEO to ensure proper records are kept; that effective financial procedures are in place and oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns.
The main responsibilities and duties of the treasurer will be to:
- Ensuring that the board of trustees fulfils its statutory duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the charity
- Present budgets; internal management accounts; and, annual financial statements to the board of trustees;
- Ensure that proper accounting records are kept, financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent
- Lead in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost‐management and investment policies;
- Provide support and advice on best practice, compliance and priorities;
- Monitor and advise on the financial viability of the charity;
- Provide advice on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan;
- Oversee and monitor the implementation of the charity’s financial management processes and risk management process
- Act as a counter signatory to nominated charity bank accounts, on charity cheques and on applications to funders;
- Carry out bank reconciliations, check payroll files, review bank mandates and accounts to ensure key controls are maintained.
- Carry out bank authorisations for payments such as invoices, salaries etc.
- Liaise with the external accountants to ensure proper management and where appropriate auditing of the accounts.
What are we looking for:
Key attributes of the role are:
- Financial Experience (ideally in relation to charity financial management)
- Good communication skills around financial matters
- Good relationship builder
- Ability to work as a team
See recruitment pack for more details.
What difference will you make?
Your expertise and advice will help to guide our organisation financially on a day-to-day basis and in the wider course of our future. You will play a key role in ensuring we maintain best practice. You will be able to provide feedback on where our money is best spent, where efficiencies or investments can be made, where we can minimize risk or grab opportunities – to help ensure our long-term financial stability.
What's in it for the volunteer?
This is an opportunity to use and develop your professional experience in finance in a role that will help to improve the lives of individuals, families, children and young people with Cavernoma. You will reap the rewards of working with Trustees, staff and volunteers who are passionate about what they do and have a great opportunity to learn more about the challenges and opportunities of the work of a small charity.
The Treasurer will be expected to be able to commit around 4-5 hours a month on average to the role.
Trustees meet quarterly usually via conference calls in the evening (meetings are usually between 6 p.m and 9p.m) Trustees are unremunerated; however reasonable travel expenses can be claimed.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter setting out why you are suited to the role and why you are interested in joining the Board of Trustees of Cavernoma Alliance UK to firstname.lastname@example.org .