23 days ago
Voluntary Action Camden
To lead on financial oversight and strategy at Camden’s umbrella organisation for the voluntary sector. We are particularly interested in someone with finance experience especially of the voluntary, charity and not for profit sector.
The role of the Treasureris to maintain an overview of VAC’s financial affairs to ensure that it is financially viable and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained. The responsibilities of the Treasurerwill include the following tasks:
- Overseeing, approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements
- Making sure that the financial resources of VAC meet its present and future needs
- Ensuring that VAC has an appropriate reserves policy
- Preparing and presenting financial reports to the Executive Committee (EC) in collaboration with the Executive Director and finance Manager
- Ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place6.Liaising with relevant staff and volunteers about financial matters
- Advising on the financial implications of VAC’s strategic plans8.Ensuring accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and relevant statutory bodies, i.e. Charity Commission, Companies House
- Leading on appointment and liaison with auditors/an independent examiner to ensure that accounts are audited/examined in manner required, and recommendations implemented
- Keeping the EC informed of its financial duties and responsibilities
- Contributing to VAC’s fundraising strategy
- Making a formal presentation of the accounts to the AGM and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and comprehensible way
The EC meets approximately nine times per year in the evening from 6.30 to 8pm. The Finance Subcommittee meets approximately nine times per year and is attended by the Treasurer, Chair, Executive Director and FinanceManager and is up to an hour and a half. In between meetings, there is an expectation that the Treasurer will provide strategic, and in some cases, operational, support to the Finance Manager and Executive Director. The time commitment is up to four hours per month.
What are we looking for?
- Financial qualifications and experience, ideally a qualified accountant
- Experience of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes, particularly in the context of smaller voluntary organisations
- Skilled in analysing proposals and their financial consequences
- Readiness to make unpopular recommendations to the EC
- WIllingness to be available to staff for advice and queries on an ad hoc basis
What difference will you make?
The treasurer is a key role in the governance of Voluntary Action Camden and is vital for the future integrity and financial viability of the organisation.
What's in it for the volunteer?
The role of Treasurer is stimulating and rewarding. It is an important and highly regarded position on the Board of Trustees and the holder of the position will gain valuable insights into the working of an effective board.