26 days ago
About the organisation
At Emmaus we’re working together to end homelessness.
In July 2011 Emmaus Hastings & Rother (EHR) became the UK's 21st Emmaus community, providing a home and meaningful work for up to 23 formerly homeless people.
What makes Emmaus different from other homelessness charities is the offer of not just a bed for the night but a home for as long as it’s needed, in a supportive community environment. Alongside this comes meaningful work in a social enterprise, generating income that sustains the community. This opportunity to become part of a community and contribute to it has a proven role in restoring self-esteem and helping people overcome homelessness and exclusion for the long term. Almost 80% of companions say that working and having something to do every day is the most beneficial part of their experience of Emmaus.
About the role
With our current Treasurer looking to step down after almost 9 years in the role, we are seeking a new Treasurer to join our board. By bringing your financial skills & experience to the board you will be helping to ensure that the charity continues to carry out its invaluable work in the community.
- To monitor the financial standing of the charity and to advise the board on the management of its financial resources.
- To oversee the charity’s financial risk-management processes and report on its financial health to the board.
- To ensure that detailed monthly management accounts are provided to the board and staff team.
- To liaise with the charity’s auditors on financial matters and ensure that the annual report and accounts and other financial returns are submitted on time.
- Financial qualifications and experience, including of accounting software packages.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Analytical and evaluation skills, demonstrating good judgement.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Understanding and commitment to the organisation’s cause and objectives.
- Willing to act as an ambassador to external bodies, charities and companies.
- A team-oriented approach to problem solving and management.
- Qualified accountant.
- Knowledge and experience of charity finance best practice.
- Understanding of charity SORP.
- The board normally meets four times a year.
- Meetings are held at the charity’s main premises & offices at 2 Whitworth Road, St Leonards-on-Sea, East Sussex, TN37 7PZ.
- The Treasurer should expect to be involved in the preparation of management accounts following each month-end, the budget for each year and the draft annual report & accounts.
How to apply
Applications must be made via TrusteeWorks in the first instance. In order to apply please submit your CV and a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, the skills and experience you would hope to bring to the board and any other relevant information.