Secretary to the board of Trustees
|Job Title:||Secretary to the board of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Lee Giles|
|Job Published:||March 03, 2021 12:55|
Reporting to - Chair and Board of Trustees
Experience needed - Ideally, someone with experience in; record keeping, writing agendas and concise minutes, knowledge of charity law and the voluntary sector, an understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities, and liabilities of trusteeship.
To ensure the smooth and efficient running of meetings, providing assistance and support to the chair of the Board of Trustees. To be responsible for legislative and regulatory requirements affecting the charity and its’ activities, including ensuring all actions are in line with the charity’s governing document.
Be responsible for organising board meetings, booking rooms, emailing attendees, creating meeting agendas and taking minute meetings.
Keep trustee’s information up to date.
Main responsibilities of the Secretary
In relation to the board
- Ensure Trustee meetings take place on the agreed date
- Working with the Chair to create an agenda and circulate to all Trustees prior to meeting
- Receive agenda items from trustees
- Ensuring each meeting has a quorum present
- Ensuring minutes are signed off by the chair at the end of a meeting
- Take and distribute minutes via email
- Raise complaints to the board if necessary
Qualities of a Secretary
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of Trusteeship and adhering to Nolan’s seven principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.
- Commitment to the charity’s objects, aims and values and willingness to devote time to carry out responsibilities.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to respect the confidences of colleagues.
- Balancing tact and diplomacy with willingness to challenge and constructively criticise.
- Knowledge of the charity sector
- Work independently and within a group
- Competent IT skills, especially in word
- Accuracy with attention to detail
- Good Administration skills
- Experience in dealing with the charity commission
- Prior experience of committee/trustee work.
- Knowledge of the Arts.
- A wider involvement with the voluntary sector.
- Experience of minute taking and committee work.
- High level of organisation skills
- Safeguarding experience
- Attend 3 Board Meetings a year.
- Attend the annual AGM.
- Attendance at annual performances (2 a year) is expected
- It is important that the Secretary attends any necessary adhoc meeting outside of the yearly trustee meeting
- In addition to board meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – may be necessary.
- This position will be held for a maximum of 3 years with a further 3-year extension if duly elected after the initial term in office.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's