17 days ago
We are recruiting for a Volunteer Trustee Treasurer at S.A.L.V.E. International for 8-14 hours per month (which can be evening and weekends) based in the UK (ideally near London or Manchester).
S.A.L.V.E. International is a small International Development charity registered in the UK and Uganda. Our ethos is “Support And Love Via Education”.
At S.A.L.V.E. we believe:
- No young person should have to live or work on the streets
- Young people who have lived and worked on the streets deserve the chance to fulfil their potential
- Young people on the streets should have trustworthy, supportive adults around them
With the generous help of our supporters, S.A.L.V.E. works with children on the streets of Jinja, Uganda, so they have the opportunity to leave their difficult pasts behind them and move forward, towards a brighter future.
We have a Drop in Centre and Street Outreach services for children currently living on the streets. We offer short term residential care in our Halfway Homes or Drug Rehabilitation Centre to help a child to transition off the streets, and follow up care and support for when a child has been resettled home to their family. We also offer educational support, or business skills training where assessed to be needed to help a child to settle home successfully.
In 2018 the charity supported 68 children to leave the streets, 15 children received treatment for their addiction and 104 children were supported in full time education.
We are looking to recruit a new financial trustee who believes in our vision and wants to work together with us to change children’s lives.
What does the role involve?
You would join our award winning governance body in the UK and work alongside our Ugandan board, to help S.A.L.V.E. International to thrive and increase our impact. As a trustee you will be responsible for setting strategy, providing good governance and directing and steering the organisation in line with its aims and objectives. You will ensure the charity has the networks, resources, funding and support needed to be the best charity it can be.
The term of office for our board is four years – however it is possible for someone to step down or resign within this time period if their circumstances were to change.
Practically the role will involve:
- Attending 4 one day board meetings per year (these are normally held in London and on a weekend day. The dates are set at the start of each year).
- Attending 4 finance meetings of up to 2 hours between board meetings (usually held on skype).
- Responding to a short weekly email report (where relevant) and championing any areas of S.A.L.V.E.’s work which your knowledge, skills, experience and time available allow.
As treasurer of the board you would also be responsible for:
- Ensuring the charity maintains proper accounts.
- Reviewing the charity’s financial performance.
- Presenting financial reports to the board in a clear format to help the board understand the charity’s financial position.
- Advising the board on how best to carry out its financial responsibilities.
- Liaising with professional advisors, finance staff and with the charity’s independent examiner as needed.
- Overseeing the preparation and scrutiny of annual accounts.
- Drawing up or reviewing policies for finance and investment.
- Ensuring that the charity has robust and effective financial controls in place
We also believe that it is highly beneficial for board members to visit the programme in Uganda at least once every five years to understand the work in greater depth, share their skills and to meet with team members and beneficiaries. Assistance towards your flight costs may be available, based on an application from the trustee.
We are looking for applicants who have experience, knowledge, qualifications and skills in Finance/ Accounting.
To ensure diversity on the Board we have a particular interest in male candidates or anyone who is originally from Uganda but is now permanently based in the UK.
The successful candidate will:
• have experience in finance/accounting and are likely to hold one of the following financial qualifications: ACA - Chartered Accountant, ACCA /CACA - Certified Accountant, CIMA - Chartered Management Accountant,
• have proven experience of communicating well with different stakeholders.
• have the ability to create, review and develop strategies, policies, procedures and systems to ensure that S.A.L.V.E. is following good practice in line with the UK Charity Commission.
• be solution focused and creative in their ability to approach problems.
• have previous experience working within the charity sector and be able to evidence their enthusiasm and dedication (desirable not essential).
Any questions: Please get in touch with Nicola Sansom our CEO to find out more.
How to apply: Please email a copy of your CV and a 1 page cover letter explaining why you want the role, highlighting your experience of any of the key interest areas above.
Closing Date: Sunday 21st April
Interview date: May (time to be arranged with shortlisted candidates)