|Job Title:||PCC Treasurer|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Reference:||HT PCC Treas|
|Contact Name:||Ruth Carroll|
|Job Published:||July 22, 2021 17:49|
Holy Trinity parish strives to serve God and the community in Stevenage Old Town and Symonds Green, Stevenage, Hertfordshire. With a Victorian church building on Stevenage High Street, and a modern church building attached to the Symonds Green community centre, we seek to minister to the needs of our community in a variety of ways. Before Covid-19 we had a combined weekly attendance of about 100 at our worship services and provided social outlets to those who might otherwise be isolated, such as Knit and Natter, Bingo, and a weekly Art Club for vulnerable adults, including several rough sleepers. As soon as the first lockdown was announced we began live-streaming services, and this has continued ever since.
As a Church of England parish, we are an independent charity, and our key decision-making body is the Parochial Church Council (PCC). Our PCC requires someone able and willing to serve as one of our trustees and take on the role of Treasurer.
Responsibilities: Your principal roles will be to implement the financial decisions we make as a council, ensure that we conform to Charity Commission guidance, and to monitor and explain to us in a way that everyone can understand our financial circumstances. We need someone with the honesty, communication skills, and enthusiasm for this form of service. Previous experience of charity accounts would be beneficial.
Skills and Characteristics required:
- qualified to serve as a trustee, according to Charity Commission guidelines
- financial competence, and the ability to maintain an accounts book
- willingness to attend our meetings (held every two months on a Tuesday evening), not only for the financial matters but also to learn about us as an organisation
- readiness to acquire a basic understanding of our parish: our goals, needs, challenges, and how our parish fits into wider church contexts
- either your own Christian faith and practice, or a sympathy with our values, and a desire to work in harmony with the vicar and PCC
- ability to explain financial issues clearly to non-experts
- capability of maintaining strict confidentiality
- respect for those with differing views and ability to “disagree well”
- motivation to give us the time commitment needed for the responsibilities listed below, and to do this pro bono
- carry out the financial decisions made by the PCC
- draft an annual budget to assist the PCC in planning
- maintain a book-keeping system, record all financial transactions carried out on behalf of the PCC and ensure they are properly authorised
- Our former treasurer is willing to serve or assist as book-keeper, as needed
- monitor the PCC’s finances throughout the year, and alert the PCC when difficulties are likely
- work with the PCC to meet its financial obligations, including ‘parish share’ (paid to the Diocese, our umbrella church organisation), clergy expenses, and insurance
- prepare the annual financial statements for approval by the PCC and submission to the Annual Parochial Church Meeting, ensuring that they comply with Charity Commission requirements, and then sending a copy to the Diocese and completing a national financial return
- collaborate with other members of the PCC claiming back Gift Aid and implementing stewardship &/or fundraising plans
About our Finances: Historically, the parish income was about £127k / year, with an expenditure of £122k. In recent years, however, we have eaten into our reserves. This year (2021) our income has been only about 6k / month.
Time Commitment: The PCC holds six Tuesday evening meetings per year (currently on Zoom but we are looking forward to returning to meetings in person), plus 1-2 Saturday ‘Away Days’. (Stevenage is easily accessible, being on the East Coast Mainline, Thameslink, the A1(M), and with an extensive bus network.) We would also ask you to be available to meet monthly (this could be on Zoom) with the churchwardens and/or vicar, and to bring church financial transactions up to date fortnightly. We hope you would commit to serve for at least two years.
Support: As our treasurer you would gain automatic membership in the Association of Church Accountants & Treasurers.
How to apply: Please send a CV and covering letter stating what skills and experience you offer, and what you hope we can offer you. Feel free also to contact our churchwardens, Lee & Elaine (email@example.com), for an informal chat before applying.