Non-Executive Director/Trustee at Wellspring Academy Trust
|Job Title:||Non-Executive Director/Trustee at Wellspring Academy Trust|
|Contact Name:||Academy Ambassadors|
|Job Published:||January 14, 2021 16:36|
Could you make a difference to the education sector by joining an academy trust board in South Yorkshire? Wellspring Academy Trust seeks two non-executives/directors to join its board. Board meetings are held at S70 2JW when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Wellspring Academy Trust comprises 25 academies found across Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and provides for around 5000 pupils across all phases of education, from ages 3-19. Around half of the schools are mainstream schools and the others provide for pupils with special educational needs. Plans are in progress for further expansion including some brand-new schools. The trust seeks Members with general executive management expertise and business growth to help embed the trust’s five-year strategic plan, strategically guide further expansion and help ensure that the trust is sustainable and effective.
Wellspring Academy trust originated in Barnsley, with a mainstream primary school which needed urgent intervention, followed by special schools, since which it has developed a national reputation for educating and nurturing children and young people who have various special educational needs.
The trust has a high proportion of pupils who are deemed ‘disadvantaged’, as many of the schools operate in areas of deprivation. In broad terms, the trust employs over 1550 staff and serves around 5000 pupils. The overall trust budget is in the region of £85m per annum.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in
- CFO/ Finance OR
- CEO/General Management
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To embed the trust's 'Vision 2020' five year strategic plan (2020-25).
- To continue to grow the trust in a sustainable, effective manner, retaining its distinctive ethos. Growth will include three Free Schools which the trust has recently been awarded, plus a number of other schools which are in the pipeline and expected to join Wellspring.
- To address diversity imbalances regarding gender and ethnicity within its governance structure.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/wellspring-academy-trust-trustee-roles
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's