Non-Executive Director/Trustee at The Rodillian Multi Academy Trust
|Job Title:||Non-Executive Director/Trustee at The Rodillian Multi Academy Trust|
|Contact Name:||Academy Ambassadors|
|Job Published:||November 23, 2020 16:52|
This is an opportunity to contribute to the community within Leeds by becoming a board member and Academy Ambassador at The Rodillian Multi Academy Trust. Board meetings are held at WF3 3PS when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Rodillian Multi Academy Trust (RMAT) was established in 2014, though it has roots as far back as the 1930s, when Rothwell Grammar School was founded to educate the children of the small south Leeds town and the surrounding areas. It is a developing trust, consisting of four secondary academies – predominantly in West Yorkshire. The trust has a strong track record of transforming under-performing schools, giving them access to strategies that have been successful for its students.
In February 2018 the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) expressed concerns over the trust’s management of its finances and issued it with a Financial Notice To Improve (FNTI), the detail of which is a matter of public record and can be seen on the internet. Further concerns were expressed in summer 2019 which resulted in considerable changes in trust practice and a refresh of the trust board and members. The ESFA removed the FNTI in September this year and confirmed that all conditions had been met. The board is now seeking to consolidate its position and increase capacity on the trust board to further improve governance and oversight of the trust and its academies.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- Audit and Risk Management OR
- Finance OR
- HR/Business Management OR
- Change Management OR
As a key member of the board over the next 12 – 24 months you will support the trust to:
- Continue to improve financial management, control and governance following the lifting of the FNTI from the ESFA.
- Reclaim the position as one of the top performing academy trusts, nationally (as was the case in the Education Policy Institute’s report in 2018).
- Develop a growth strategy which maintains financial security and allows the trust to benefit from economies of scale.
- Increase capacity at trustee level within the next 6-12 months.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/rodillian-multi-academy-trust-0
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's