Non-executive director/Trustee at Blue Kite Academy Trust
|Job Title:||Non-executive director/Trustee at Blue Kite Academy Trust|
|Contact Name:||Academy Ambassadors|
|Job Published:||June 21, 2021 16:49|
Are you a Finance or PR professional looking to make a difference to the education sector by joining an academy trust board? Blue Kite Academy Trust in Swindon seeks two non-executive directors/Trustees to join its board. Board meetings are held at SN2 1NX when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at single-academy and multi-academy trusts (SATs and MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Blue Kite Academy Trust governs seven primary-age schools, and one infant school, all located across the Swindon area. It has 380 staff supporting its 2400 children and has a budget of c. £12m. The number of pupils eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) is 326. There are 367 pupils that study English an Additional Language (EAL) and there are 321 students have been identified as Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) with 53 students on an educational, health and care plan (EHCP). These figures do not factor in Colebrook Infant Academy, as this academy only joined the trust in December of 2020.
The board seeks two business leaders with board level experience in:
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- To ensure remote learning is effective, the pupils are learning and progressing, and that teachers are consistently assessing the pupils across the trust.
- To ensure that pupils can catch-up on any learning lost so that they are not at a disadvantage due to having their learning disrupted. Using the catch up funding in the most effective way across the trust to benefit all pupils.
- To use self-evaluation tools to ensure robust governance structure and a skilled governance team are in place as the trust continues to grow. Post-Covid succession planning needs have highlighted a need to recruit trustees with expertise in financial management, IT/digital transformation, legal/compliance and marketing/branding expertise to strengthen the board’s ability to hold executive leaders to account for performance and secure long term financial sustainability in the interests of the pupils and communities served by the trust.
- To grow to a size that will be big enough to be financially stable and secure but small enough that they will know their schools well.
- To be an employer of choice by developing well-being packages and benefits for their staff because they want to demonstrate that the work they do is valued.
- To invest in developing and maintaining effective governing bodies through training and development. This will enable their local governing bodies and trustees to function as part of one governance system, which both supports and challenges school leaders at all levels.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at the Academy Ambassadors website.
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's