20 days ago
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in South Yorkshire? The Ryedale Learning Trust seeks three non-executives/directors to join its board. Board meetings are held at YO62 7SL when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
The Ryedale Federation is due to establish the Ryedale Learning Trust with effect from 1st February 2021. The trust is currently seeking three Non-Executive Directors/Trustees and one Member to help strengthen the areas of financial management, HR and law/legal frameworks during this exciting transition and to shape the future from federation into becoming an academy trust.
The Ryedale Learning Trust’s schools are all located within a few miles of each other, along the stretch between Helmsley and Sinnington. The trust’s three primary schools, Helmsley Community Primary, Kirkbymoorside Community Primary and Sinnington Primary, are all Ofsted rated ‘Good’, while the secondary school, Ryedale School, is Ofsted rated ‘Outstanding’.
The trust employs c.150 staff and has approx. 1,180 pupils, with a budget of £6.80mn/p.a. The number of pupils entitled to Free School Meals (FSM) – an indicator of deprivation - Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and English as an Additional Language (EAL) are low and below the national average in all four schools within the trust.
The board seeks three business leaders with board level experience in
- Legal/ Compliance
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- System development - to continue establishing and refining the systems and structures that come with being a new trust - including the governance structure;
- Financial management - to demonstrate robust financial planning and a healthy budget to ensure the trust can continue to meet its annual loan repayments;
- Growth - to continue to grow and work with more schools.
In the longer term, the Trust Board seeks to expand the trust to include at least ten primary schools in the Ryedale area, in addition to the planned secondary schools, referenced above.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our ambassador network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role.
All roles are pro bono.
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please register your interest now to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/ryedale-learning-trust
Please be aware the closing date may change if we have received sufficient applications.