14 days ago
Horizon Academy Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Hull? Horizon Academy Trust seeks up to four new non-executives/directors to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Horizon Academy Trust is a primary-only trust that serves a coastal, rural and urban region in the Hull and East Riding area. Across its six schools, the trust serves around 3,000 pupils. It has 480 staff and a budget of £20 million.
The trust believes that primary education underpins the success of a community and this has been a key driver in the development of Horizon since it established in May 2017. It has plans to expand and take on another school. The new trustees will join the existing board, to provide support to secure financial efficiencies and maintain stability.
The board seeks up to four business leaders with expertise in
· IT/Technology or
· legal/compliance or
· finance or
· previous experience as Chair of a governing board
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Growth - the medium term plan is to take on another good school to increase the capacity to challenge and support each other as part of the trust's school improvement model.
- Finance - with tight budget pressures, the trust seeks ways to secure further financial efficiencies. Some economies of scale have already been realized but it is possible that more can be done to improve the service to the schools whilst lowering costs.
- Recruitment and retention - Horizon MAT has a teaching school, which provides training and development for teachers across the area. They aim to develop this provision and expand their position in the local market.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.