Non-Executive Director at Dales Academies Trust
|Job Title:||Non-Executive Director at Dales Academies Trust|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Academy Ambassadors|
|Job Published:||September 28, 2020 15:04|
Dales Academies Trust
Non-executive director/ Trustee role
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in North Yorkshire? Dales Academies Trust seeks one non-executive director/trustee to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at academy trusts throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
A fourteen-school academy trust serving more than 2,500 young people in North Yorkshire, Dales Academies Trust is seeking to develop quality staffing, strengthen its finances and potentially grow the number of schools over the next two years. In order to help achieve these aims, while retaining its faith-based ethos, the trust is recruiting a new trustee with skills in finance and/or property, especially with experience in both urban and rural settings. Trust board meetings are normally held at Trinity Academy, Richmond, although some flexibility to accommodate current Covid-19 restrictions is currently anticipated. Applicants of all faiths and of none are welcomed.
The board seeks one business leader with expertise in
· non-executive/trustee and
· finance or
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Staff recruitment and retention - recruit and retain best quality staff. The trust believes it is already strong in this area, and management and governance oversight are robust, but as the key element of the strength of its teaching, the trustees intend to ensure a close control is maintained over this aspect of the trust operation;
- Financial management - strengthened finances, ensuring efficiency and best quality delivery. This is in the context that finances are well controlled: many of the trust’s schools are small, some of which are sub-grouped within the trust under an executive head;
- Managed growth – the expansion of the trust in a controlled and appropriate way. The trustees are not 'hunting' for schools to acquire, and do not aspire to increase the size of the trust faster than is prudent, however they do welcome exploratory conversations with schools in the local area that may be interested in joining Dales Academies Trust.
Due to an increased pupil admission number (PAN) at secondary phase, over the longer term the trust has a requirement to serve this larger roll as it progresses. The board has a desire to retain the 'family' character of the trust, with a strong Church of England influence in its overall ethos. The trust also seeks steady growth, but wishes to avoid moving towards a ‘hub’ model of operation.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our Ambassadors alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please send a copy of your CV and details of your location to us, either through this website or directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's