Non-Executive Director at Ascent Academies’ Trust
|Job Title:||Non-Executive Director at Ascent Academies’ Trust|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Academy Ambassadors|
|Job Published:||June 01, 2020 14:47|
Ascent Academies’ Trust
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in the North East of England? Ascent Academies’ Trust seeks two non-executives directors/trustees to join its board.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Ascent Academies’ Trust is a Multi-Academy Trust (MAT) of special schools providing education and support to young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). The trust is based in Sunderland and has four academies across the North East. Board meetings are held predominantly at Portland Academy, Weymouth Road, Sunderland, however the trust is moving towards more virtual meetings and remote ways of workings for meetings and committees.
The board seeks two business leaders with expertise in
- non-executive directorship
- accountancy (qualification highly desirable)
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Future funding and financial challenges - uncertainties regarding high needs funding, greater need and demand for specialist places in the trust’s academies, changes in national and local funding formulas leading to increasing budget pressures with uncertain future funding;
- Post-Covid-19 return to school - ensuring staff and pupils have a safe return to school following Covid-19;
- Growth – the expansion of the trust to increase the number of school places available;
- Estates - ensuring the capital estate is funded and maintained.
Board governance in education is a strategic, ‘eyes on, hands off’ commitment which typically involves attending c. six board meetings per year/6-8 hours’ time per month.
You will be responsible for:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
As an Academy Ambassador, you will join our alumni network which provides resources, guidance, networking events and webinars to support you in your role. All roles are pro bono.
Please visit www.academyambassadors.org for more information on the role - a full trust specification is available at www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/ascent-academies-trust
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's