28 days ago
Could you be an Academy Ambassador in Luton? Tennyson Learning Community seeks a member to join its board. Board meetings are held at LU1 3RS when safe to do so.
The Academy Ambassadors programme brings the expertise of the business world onto boards at multi-academy trusts (MATs) throughout the country to raise standards of education and improve the life chances of young people, which is critical to our social and economic success.
Tennyson Learning Community is a new primary academy trust based in Luton that is currently in an exciting phase of growth. The trust believes very strongly in the need to form a close partnership between parents, staff, and pupils to ensure children are happy, challenged and able to make an individual contribution to the success of our schools. The trust also seeks a member with either a finance or legal background. Board meetings are held in Luton.
The board seeks a business leader with expertise in
- Audit OR
- Legal OR
- Compliance OR
- CFO/ Finance
As a key member of the board you will support the trust in achieving the following over the next 12 – 24 months:
- Financial management – budget constraints need to be well managed and overcome as the central team supports new schools.
- Educational attainment – as the trust grows, it is important to maintain the ‘Outstanding’ key stage 2 results across its schools.
- Site management – the de-amalgamation of the existing split site school requires a business case to be submitted to the Regional Schools Commissioner.
Applicants should have an extensive and demonstrable background in senior leadership roles, with strategic vision and knowledge of the non-executive director role. Candidates are expected to demonstrate the seven principles of public life set out by Lord Nolan.
Members have a similar role to the shareholders in a company limited by shares. They provide high-level oversight and scrutiny of the work of the trust board.
Most notably, members:
- define the trust’s charitable object and governance structure;
- amend the articles of association;
- appoint or remove trustees;
- appoint the trust’s auditors and receive the trust’s annual audited accounts; and, ultimately,
- dissolve the academy trust if required.
Members will typically meet once per year with preparation time required. This translates to a commitment of around two hours per month.
Further information on the member role at a multi-academy trust is available on the gov.uk website.
Successful candidates will join a network of Ambassadors: experienced business leaders and professionals who have been appointed to board roles through the Academy Ambassadors Programme. All Ambassadors gain access to resources, guidance, networking events, our annual flagship conference, as well as webinars.
Please register your interest to be considered for the role.
A full trust specification is available at https://www.academyambassadors.org/board-opportunities/tennyson-learning-community-member-role
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We strongly recommend applying as early as you can to have the best possible chance of being considered as we may change the closing date if we have received sufficient applications.