|Job Title:||Legal Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||October 18, 2019 16:49|
Emmaus Bristol is seeking a trustee with legal expertise to join their friendly and dynamic board.
Emmaus Bristol helps people out of homelessness and poverty. We provide a home, support, training and work experience to 29 formerly homeless men and women in Bristol (known in Emmaus as Companions), as well as a family of five. We are renovating a house currently which will be home to either a family at risk of homelessness, or single homeless sharers. We plan to expand our accommodation further over the next two years in response to the growing homelessness crisis.
Emmaus Bristol works with formerly homeless and other socially excluded people so that together we can gain control of our lives, and discover our common purpose to help others in need.
We are working together towards a world where every person is valued and respected, without injustice or distinction. We believe in:
- Honesty - Being transparent and honest in all our dealings
- Solidarity - Looking outwards to support those in more need than ourselves
- Empowerment - Helping others to understand and achieve their true potential
- Sharing - Resources, skills and learning
- Supporting - Fostering and cherishing lifelong interdependence
- Working - to contribute and grow
- Undertaking a lead role for the Board of Trustees on all matters associated with the legal aspects of the organisation.
- Using knowledge obtained through your career and legal work to help inform the organisation’s strategic plans.
- Working with Senior Management and other trustees to foster a better understanding within the Board of the legal aspects of the organisation.
- Acting as a critical friend to the organisation’s executive team when obtaining and acting on legal advice
- Legal experience (Public or private sector)
- Strategic vision and good, independent judgement
- Skills and ability to ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Knowledge and experience of the charity sector
- We want a diverse board where all members of the community are represented and encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds
The Board meetings take place in Bristol. They last two hours and take place every two months (7-9 pm on Thursdays) Some time also required for preparing for meetings and other ad-hoc communications. The trustees are also invited to attend special events with beneficiaries and staff.
How to Apply
Applications should be made via Reach in the first instance. Please submit your CV and covering letter either through the Reach website using a guest profile, or by emailing the TrusteeWorks team.
The covering letter must state why you wish to join the organisation, what skills and experience you will bring to the board, directly addressing the person specification, and any other relevant information. For more details please see the candidate pack.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's