4 days ago
International Students House
International Students House is seeking an Internal Audit Volunteer to ensure that its operations are conducted according to the highest standards by providing an independent, objective assurance function and by advising on best practice. Through a systematic and disciplined approach, the Internal Audit Volunteer will assist ISH to accomplish its objectives by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
About International Students House (ISH)
ISH is a vibrant student centre offering accommodation, social and support services for resident and non-resident British and overseas students. In addition, International Students House encompasses commercial meeting and event spaces, a live music venue and bar, to support its charitable aims.
To provide an affordable "home from home" for students of different nationalities and diverse cultures, supported by a substantial scholarship programme, with the opportunity to live and learn together in a safe and secure community of mutual respect, understanding and international friendship.
The tasks of the IAV will be set by the Finance and Audit Committee and will be wide ranging. The IAV will prepare an annual internal plan with input from and approval of the Finance & Audit Committee. The IAV will deliver the audit plan each year and provide reports on their findings and recommendations to management and the Committee.
The IAV will monitor progress with the actions taken to address agreed audit recommendations and report these to the Committee. To fulfil their responsibilities, the IAV may:
- Identify and assess potential risks to ISH’s operations and assess whether the existing Risk Register procedures adequately reflect these.
- Review the adequacy of controls established to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines, policies, plans, procedures, and business objectives.
- Carry out efficiency assessments to assess whether ISH is achieving Value for Money (VFM).
- Carry out ad hoc appraisals, investigations, or reviews requested by the Finance & Audit Committee.
Independence, objectivity, and authority
To ensure independence, the Internal Audit Volunteer (IAV) is ultimately responsible to the Chair of the Finance & Audit Committee. The Finance & Audit sub-committee meets four times a year, usually in February, May, July and December, and this is when the IAV may present reports to the committee.
To promote effective controls the IAV is authorised to access all areas, documents and records considered necessary for the performance of his/her duties, except for commercially confidential or personnel documents, and to request relevant information from ISH’s professional advisers.
Hours and Contract Period
The time commitment is approximately 2 days per month, working on premises and/or remotely. Attendance at the Finance and Audit Committee to present the Internal Audit reports will be required. The appointment is for a 3 year term.
Skills, Qualities and Experience
- A background in accounting or auditing i.e. degree in Internal Auditing, Finance, Risk Management or CCAB- qualified accountant, is required.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of previous Internal Audit experience within the Not-for-Profit sector, including auditing financial records, policies and internal functions.
- Experience in dealing and making presentation to Board members
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- High levels of integrity and ethical standards
- A keen eye for detail to successfully scrutinise data
- In-depth knowledge of accounting software and other IT systems and software
- Ability to interact with co-workers and form good working relationships at all levels