Interim Chair of Trustees
|Job Title:||Interim Chair of Trustees|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Eleanor Urben|
|Job Published:||April 02, 2019 14:24|
Leeds Mencap provides aspirational services to improve the lives and opportunities of people with a learning disability. We are looking for an experienced, well networked and commercially astute Interim Chair.
We are looking for an individual with a strong commercial focus who has experience in undertaking short-term roles and overseeing project delivery and organisational change.
Raising the profile of Leeds Mencap is a central part of the role and we need someone who is willing to use their networks to support this development. An understanding of and commitment to Leeds Mencap’s cause is essential and experience of charity governance issues would be an advantage.
In undertaking the role you will be working with a loyal and committed team and will set the charity on a pathway that enables it to continue to provide vital support to people with learning disabilities into the future.
We are looking for someone with:
- a strong commercial focus who is prepared to challenge and make difficult decisions;
- has recent experience in undertaking short-term roles and overseeing project delivery and organisational change;
- is well networked locally; and
- has the drive and ambition to deliver successfully over a short period of time.
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to Leeds Mencap, its strategic objectives and cause
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of Leeds Mencap
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well including attending events out of office hours
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
- Demonstrable experience of building and sustaining relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues to achieve organisational objectives
- A proven track record of sound judgement and effective decision making
- A track record of commitment to promoting equality and diversity
Knowledge and skills
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and volunteers and bring people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
- Willingness to be available to staff for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
- Good, independent judgement and strategic vision
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- An understanding of the respective roles of the Chair, Trustees and Chief Executive
What difference will you make?
Leeds Mencap has recently experienced a period of change as part of which the Trustees and Chief Executive have undertaken a full review of Leeds Mencap’s strategy and operations. The review has addressed and refined Leeds Mencap’s Objectives, Services, Outcomes, Market, and Vision. This review has resulted in a revised strategy being agreed together with a series of specific action plans that will seek to ensure Leeds Mencap develops a sustainable way forward over the next eighteen to twenty-four months. As part of these changes Leeds Mencap is in the process of closing its only residential home for adults with learning disabilities. Going forward Leeds Mencap will focus on specialising in support for children and young people with learning disabilities and their families.
The Interim Chair’s priority will be to oversee the successful delivery of the recently agreed strategy which will include ensuring there is an effective board of trustees and a sustainable financial platform from which to move forward thereafter.
In undertaking the role the Interim Chair will be bringing energy and drive to bring people together to get behind the direction of the charity and set it on a pathway that enables it to continue to provide vital support to people with learning disabilities into the future.
What’s in it for the volunteer?
The Interim Chair will have the opportunity to work with a loyal and committed team who have energy and enthusiasm for ongoing learning and development to improve what we can offer to support people with learning disabilities. Leeds Mencap has many achievements to celebrate in the 65 years it has supported people in Leeds. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to drive the process of ensuring there is a solid foundation from which to continue.
The current Chair spends three days a month. The majority is done from home or in meetings. Around six hours are in the office.
How to apply
To express your interest in the role please send your CV and a supporting statement outlining your interest and motivation for joining the Leeds Mencap Board of Trustees via Reach Volunteering.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
Chair and Trustees
Unremunerated with reasonable expenses
Trustee and Chair of Finance, Fundraising and General Purposes Committee
0 - 0
Trustees with experience in finance, social housing, social care or income generation
0 - 0
Chair/Treasurer/Trustee, Citizens Advice Mendip
0 - 0
0 - 0