Independent Non-Executive Director (x3)
|Job Title:||Independent Non-Executive Director (x3)|
|Salary:||Service on the Board is non-remunerative. Travel and meeting expenses are reimbursed according to our policies and procedures|
|Contact Name:||Ian Wilson|
|Job Published:||November 25, 2019 11:15|
The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) is the professional body and multi- disciplinary membership association for sport and exercise scientists in the UK. It was founded in 1984 and is a not-for-profit organisation (registered as a private company limited by guarantee). Currently, there are c. 2,500 members of the association.
We are recruiting for an additional three independent Non-Executive Directors (NED) to join our Board for a three-year term. The purpose of the BASES Board is to develop our strategic direction, to ensure effective delivery of our plans, and to oversee the management of the Association’s affairs. Our strategic aim is to develop and enhance professional and ethical standards in sport and exercise science by promoting research; developing guidance to support evidence-based practice; distributing knowledge; and implementing professional standards for individuals involved in sport and exercise science. We are a growing organisation; the Board is currently developing the new Strategy for 2021-2025, so now is an exciting time to join our Board.
Our NEDs have responsibility for ensuring that appropriate corporate governance is observed. They will be expected to provide advice and direction to the BASES management in the development, implementation and evaluation of the strategy; to monitor our legal and ethical performance; and to monitor the veracity and adequacy of financial and other information provided to members and other stakeholders. In addition to a commitment to the Board, NEDs may be involved in other committees and task groups. Along with the Chair of the Association, NEDs are responsible for the evaluation of the professional staff of BASES.
About the BASES Board:
- The Board meets five times per year to further the development of the business; two face-to-face meetings held at varying locations and three via video conference. Additional deliberations may be conducted via e-mail between meetings.
- All Board members, except the Chair, serve two or three-year terms and can serve up to two consecutive terms. The Chair of the Association serves a four-year term, serving as Chair-Elect for the first year.
- The Board comprises of:
- Chair of the Association
- Chair of the Division of Sport and Performance
- Chair of the Division of Physical Activity for Health
- Chair of the Division of Biomechanics and Motor Behaviour
- Chair of the Division of Physiology and Nutrition
- Chair of the Division of Psychology
- Up to four Non-Executive Directors
- Executive Director
- Chair Elect (in the year preceding office).
- Service on the Board is non-remunerative. Travel and meeting expenses are reimbursed according to our policies and procedures.
We are seeking NEDs who
- share our passion for driving excellence in sport and exercise
- are willing to challenge and probe
- can demonstrate integrity and high ethical standards at all times
- will act collectively as part of the Board
- who will add value by contributing their experience, expertise and insight.
No specific knowledge of sport and exercise science is required. We are seeking individuals with skills and expertise in one or more of the following key areas:
- Finance, accounting and risk management
- Legal expertise
- Business Development / Commercial Acumen / Income Generation
- Communication / Marketing / Branding
Candidates should be prepared to devote at least seven days per annum to BASES business. Membership of BASES is not a requirement.
Enquiries and Applications:
The appointment of our NEDs will be via a formal, rigorous, open, transparent and publicly advertised recruitment process, attracting the widest range of suitable candidates. We aim to promote equality and diversity in our recruitment policies and are keen to encourage applications from groups that are under-represented within our membership and on the BASES Board, including female, black & minority ethnic and disabled members.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward an electronic copy of your CV and a covering letter no longer than 2 pages of A4 outlining how you meet the candidate profile. Please mark this email Confidential and send to: email@example.com
Applications will close 09:00 am on Monday 16 December 2019; interviews will take place Fridays 10 and 17 January 2020, via skype.