13 days ago
Islamic Relief Worldwide
Term: Voluntary – Unpaid (reasonable travel expenses can be claimed)
Duration: 4 years
Closing date: 30th June 2021
Inspired by our Islamic faith and guided by our values, we envisage a world where communities are empowered, social obligations are fulfilled and people respond as one to the suffering of others.
Islamic Relief Worldwide (IRW) has been serving humanity for 37 years as an independent humanitarian and development organisation. With an active presence in over 45 countries across the globe, we strive to make the world a better and fairer place for the three billion people still living in poverty.
We believe that those in need have rights over people with wealth and power – regardless of race, political affiliation, gender, or belief. We provide lasting routes out of poverty, empowering people to transform their lives and their communities and serving people of all faiths according to need.
In 2020, IRW created its International General Assembly (IGA), the highest body of its global governance structure. We are now seeking to appoint Independent Members to the IGA, who will later be eligible to join the IRW Board of Trustees, as we expand the board.
Islamic Relief encourages diversity in its IGA members, including that of gender and experience in professional backgrounds such as law, finance, audit, humanitarian programming, monitoring and evaluation, human resources, information technology, public relations/communications, marketing/fundraising, and Shariah compliance. Independent members should preferably be resident in the UK or have lived in and continue to be very familiar with the UK.
As a member of the IGA, you must be fully committed to our values, and sharing our vision, mission and strategy. You are expected to attend meetings and devote the necessary time and effort to the role and to act in the best interest of the charity and the vulnerable people we serve.
As a member of the IGA your key responsibilities will be to:
• Participate in the activities of the IGA and to fulfil your assigned tasks
• Act at all times in a manner that corresponds with Islamic Relief Worldwide’s values, aims and objectives
• Help the charity work toward achieving our vision and mission, with a focus on the long-term benefit of the charity and the people we serve
• Support the setting of our priorities and objectives with a focus on strategic planning and governance.
• Participate in approving annual plans, strategies, and budgets
• Promoting IRW’s vision, mission and values and demonstrate IRW’s values in all the IGA’s work
We are seeking exceptional candidates with a breadth of experience who will enhance Islamic Relief Worldwide’s strategic development. You will have the following skills and qualities:
• A deep commitment and passion for IRW’s faith inspired values, vision, and mission
• Considerable professional experience in at least one of the following: law, finance, auditing, monitoring and evaluation, humanitarian programming, human resource management, information technology, public relations/communications, marketing /fundraising, Shariah compliance
• Strategic vision and critical thinking
• Strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills
• Knowledge of the legislative and operating framework for charities, voluntary and community sector organisations, especially an understanding of Charity Commission of England and Wales requirements
• A good understanding of the context within which IRW operates
• Teamwork, including good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Willing to be an ambassador for IRW.
• Demonstrate through words and behaviour – both now and in the past – your alignment with IRW’s values and expectations from the role
If you are interested in these roles, please review the information pack via our website advert before applying.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply to be an Independent Member of the IGA, please send a current CV and cover letter to IGAMRecruitment@irworldwide.org
The deadline for applications is 30th June 2021
PLEASE NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Any appointment will be subject to the following checks:
• Enhanced screening clearance
• Receipt of satisfactory references including the Inter-Agency Misconduct Scheme Reference where applicable
• Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
• This post is classed as Social Media Profile Level One (Senior Ambassador) under IRW’s Personal Social Media Policy. The postholder must disclose their social media accounts and must represent IRW in an acceptable way online, in accordance with the policy.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
IRW is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom IRW engages. IRW expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records checks. IRW also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme.
In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment.
By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.