6 days ago
Reach Volunteering are working with Right from the Start, a charity that works throughout Caerphilly County Borough providing support to families with a variety of needs. They are a voluntary organization who receive funding from Supporting People, Flying Start and Aneurin Bevan Health Board, which separates into three main aspects of support: family support unit, housing related support and parenting support.
Right from the Start are seeking a new HR trustee to support them through a period of transition and help them grow from strength to strength.
Committed to ensuring highest standards of governance in policies and practice related to employee relations, recruitment, retention, reward and recognition as well as staff and trustee development.
Assessing risks and measuring the impact of HR interventions in the light of changing legal requirements and best practice.
Implementing the organisations policies and practices in the context of furthering charitable objectives and evaluating how they impact beneficiaries and staff.
Ensuring long-term strategic oversight of the organisation’s personnel and staffing requirements in relation to the overarching goals of the charity.
Main responsibilities of the HR trustee
- To review and recommend current and future strategic resourcing, training and development and annual budgets and plans to the trustee board.
- To actively contribute to policy setting, strategic direction, goal and target setting, and evaluate performance against targets, budgets, plans and charitable objectives.
- To ensure that HR activities and interventions are linked to the organisations’s charitable objectives and complement the organisation culture.
- To ensure the Trustee Board monitors and reviews the performance of the charity’s Chief Executive, rewards performance accordingly and identifies appropriate development opportunities.
- To monitor the financial position of the charity and its operations within its means and objects, making sure that there are clear lines of accountability for day-to-day financial management.
- To monitor whether the service complies with its governing document and standards and if the needs of the beneficiaries are being met.
- Experience of performance management, HR/employment law issues and implementing them contextually.
- Willingness to actively participate in discussions concerning needs of charity’s beneficiaries, staff and the trustee board.
- Willingness to act in the best interest of the charity while adhering the Nolan principles of public life.
- Sound, independent judgement and ability to think creatively.
- Working effectively as a team member and demonstrating a willingness to learn and develop.
- Strong intellectual and analytical ability; innovative thinker and ability to focus on issues requiring action.
- Experience in the charitable or voluntary sector.
- Experience of charity law and governance.
What difference will you make?
By joining the board at Right from the Start you will be joining a team who are passionate about the work they do and who are driven to provide the best support possible to the beneficiaries of the charity.
What's in it for the volunteer?
The organisation is currently going through a period of transition as we plan to move to new premises and will be opening a new community hub to help families with advice and other support. The grand opening will be taking place in September!
As a Trustee you will be responsible for ensuring that the organisation is sustainable throughout this period of change and beyond and will help us to grow from strength to strength. You will enable the organisation to continue the support provided to families in the best possible way, making a positive contribution to their lives.
- The Board meets bi monthly on the last Friday every other month
- Meetings last 2 hours
- You should ideally be available through email and telephone and potentially be able to join meetings on an ad hoc basis if needed (not compulsory, but based on what’s going in the organisation)
- Board meetings are held at the organisation’s premises: 84/86 Lewis Street, Aberbargoed, Bargoed, Caerphilly CF81 9EA
Before you apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.