Honorary Treasurer and Trustee
|Job Title:||Honorary Treasurer and Trustee|
|Job Published:||July 02, 2021 10:52|
The British Tinnitus Association (BTA) are looking for a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees.
The British Tinnitus Association’s vision is ‘A world where no one suffers from tinnitus.’ We seek to achieve this through commissioning world leading research and supporting people to live well with tinnitus. We are the only national charity in the UK solely dedicated to supporting the tinnitus community. One in eight adults in the UK have tinnitus and it is our aim to find a cure.
The BTA currently employs 26 members of staff and has income of approximately £1.3 million.
We are now looking for a Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees. This is a voluntary position and unremunerated, although reasonable expenses will be paid. The Treasurer will also participate in Trustee meetings as a Trustee, playing an active and collaborative role in shaping the charity’s strategic direction.
The role of the Treasurer is to monitor the financial administration of the charity and report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals on its state of financial health, in line with best practice and in compliance with the governing document and legal requirements.
The time commitment is approximately one day per month. Trustees are expected to attend six Board meetings per year. These are held in either in London or Sheffield, where the BTA is based. Meetings are split between midweek and Saturdays.
The current Treasurer (Mr Clive Warner) is due to retire in Autumn 2022 after a very successful tenure and wishes to ensure a smooth handover to his successor well ahead of that time. Clive is willing to be available for a preliminary discussion ahead of an application.
The main responsibilities and duties of the Treasurer include:
· Oversee and present budgets, internal management accounts and annual financial statements to the Board of Trustees
· Lead in the Board’s duty to ensure that proper accounting records are kept and financial resources are properly controlled, invested and economically spent in line with good governance, legal and regulatory requirements
· Lead in the development and implementation of financial reserves, cost‐management and investment policies and monitoring investment activity
· Liaise with the appropriate member of staff responsible for the financial activities of the organisation
· Chair the Finance Sub-Committee in line with standing orders and terms of reference, and report back to the Board of Trustees
· Monitor and advise on the financial viability of the charity
· Oversee the implementation and monitoring of specific financial controls and adherence to systems
· Advise on the financial implications of the charity’s strategic plan
· Oversee the charity’s financial risk‐management process
· Act as a counter signatory on charity expenditure and important applications to funders
· Board‐level liaison with the external auditors on specific issues such as the auditors’ management letter and the related Board representations.
How to apply
Please submit a CV and covering letter to Mr Clive Warner, Treasurer, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to have a preliminary conversation with the Treasurer or Chief Executive ahead of applying, please email Clive to arrange this.
The second stage of the process will be an interview with the Chief Executive, current Treasurer and one or more other members of the Trustee Board.
British Tinnitus Association, Unit 5 Acorn Business Park, Woodseats Close, Sheffield, S8 0TB.
Facebook and Instagram: @BritishTinnitusAssociation
LinkedIn: British Tinnitus Association