Honorary Treasurer and Trustee
|Job Title:||Honorary Treasurer and Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Jackie Richards|
|Job Published:||July 16, 2018 19:52|
Barnet African Caribbean Association (BACA) is a local independent charity and company limited by guarantee, whose purpose is to improve the quality of life for older people in the Barnet area.
Our mission is to promote care, general well- being and rehabilitation of older people within a friendly, stimulating, caring and positive environment
BACA provides day centre and outreach services for the community and we are undertaking a major transformation of our charitable business to develop and improve our services at a very challenging time.
In addition to the general responsibilities as a Trustee of BACA the overall role of the Treasurer is to maintain an overview of charity’s financial affairs, ensuring its financial viability and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
Skills, qualifications and experience required include; an accountancy qualification and experience, good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills, ideally some experience of committee work and an ability to manage change.
Suggested time commitment: - Most duties can be done off-site/remotely. A bi-monthly Board meeting takes 2 hours, and is scheduled during the evening.
Specific responsibilities of the Treasurer include:
Strategic & Business Planning
The Treasurer, as a member of, and jointly with, the Board, will include:
- ensuring that the financial resources of BACA meets its present and future needs
- advising on the financial implications of the development, updating and review of BACA’s strategic and business plans
- keeping the board informed about its financial duties and responsibilities
- ensuring that BACA has an appropriate reserves policy
- ensuring BACA’s compliance with financial and related legislation
- contributing to BACA’s fundraising strategy
Financial Management & Accounting
- ensuring that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place
- liaising with BACA’s senior manager and other paid staff and volunteers as appropriate about financial matters
- preparing, presenting, and overseeing budgets, accounts and financial statements
- ensuring that equipment and assets are adequately maintained and insured
- preparing and presenting of financial reports and management accounts to the Board of BACA
- ensuring that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required both by funders and the Financial Services Authority and/or such other regulatory bodies in place at the time
- liaising with BACA’s auditor in place at the time and reporting directly to the Board on audit related matters
- where external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensuring that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required and that any recommendations are implemented
- presenting final accounts to the board of BACA prior to the Annual General Meeting
- ensuring the formal presentation of the accounts at the Annual General Meeting
- monitoring BACA’s trading activity, ensuring consistency with its policies and legal responsibilities and reporting to the board
In addition to the qualities, skills and experience required generally of board directors the Treasurer will demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
- accountancy, financial management and budgeting qualifications, skills and experience
- good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- impartiality, fairness and ability to respect confidence
- experience of committee work would be beneficial
To apply and for more information, please contact Jackie Richards at firstname.lastname@example.org