P C Lim
16 days ago
Solent Protection Society
The Solent Protection Society is a small charity founded over sixty years ago. The Mission of the Society is to ensure the ecological and environmental well-being and wise management of the Solent Area, its natural beauty and amenities so that they may continue to be enjoyed by present and future generations. The Society takes an active and constructive part to safeguard the natural beauty and amenities of the Solent Area, particularly its harbours. Solent Protection Society, by virtue of its independence and expertise, is able to bring more weight to highlight issues to Government and individual bodies than individual representations. More information can be found on the Society's website solentprotection.org.
We have around 400 members and between 14 and 20 council members, who are experienced experts and well regarded in their individual fields. They include environmental and ecological scientists, marine engineers, coastline management experts, architects, surveyors, IT specialists, senior management executives, lawyers and accountants. All have a deep knowledge and love of the Solent.
Knowledge and skills
Professional financial qualifications and strong analytical skills
Relevant knowledge of charity finance and charity governance issues
We want someone who is committed, astute, community minded and is in sympathy with the Society's ethos and objectives
- Trustee of SPS
- Overseeing the financial affairs of the organisation and ensuring they are legal, constitutional and within accepted accounting practice
- Ensuring proper records are kept and that effective financial and banking procedures are in place
- Liaising with the Chairman to ensure financial viability of the charity and to set budgets
- Overseeing the production of regular and necessary financial reports, returns and declarations to Council, the Charity Commission and HMRC
- Ensuring that Solent Protection Society has appropriate financial reserves and investment policies and liaison with investment funds
- Renewal of annual insurance policies
- Monthly reporting to Council
- Liaison with internal reviewers
The Council meets once a month in Southampton with up to four management meetings per annum in the same location. The AGM takes place at the beginning of December. The Treasurer is re-elected annually.
The honorary treasurer, a volunteer trustee, is not remunerated.
She is self employed and is responsible for maintaining SPS membership list and own books.