|Job Title:||Honorary Treasurer|
|Contact Name:||Katherine Hedderly|
|Job Published:||October 11, 2019 14:56|
All Hallows by the Tower Church
All Hallows by the Tower Church is a thriving church of the City of London, situated next to the Tower of London and close by the River Thames, with a presence that goes back to the 7thcentury. It sits on the boundary to the East with Tower Hamlets, one of the most deprived boroughs in the UK. It is therefore in a unique position as a church to seek opportunities for social outreach, provide welcome and ministry to the working life of the City and the 4m visitors that come to this location, as well serving the City’s civic and Livery communities. As the church looks to the future it has a number of projects that will require good financial oversight, fundraising initiatives, along with the exploration of mission opportunities locally and with other City churches. We are seeking someone who has experience in a senior position in a finance function to act as Honorary Treasurer in order to assist the Vicar, Churchwardens and PCC in their financial oversight, in order to ensure correct and timely presentation of the financial position of the parish, enable informed decision making and enhance the fundraising possibilities for this prominent City church.
1 ROLE DETAILS
Role Title: Honorary Treasurer
Status: Voluntary Role
Time involved: Meetings annually – minimum requirement: 6 Parochial Church Council (PCC) / Standing Committee, Finance Committee (all held in the evenings); regular contact with Vicar and Operations & Finance Manager.
2 ROLE PURPOSE
With regard to the finances of All Hallows by the Tower Church (the church) to work with the Vicar and Churchwardens to provide strategic leadership, fundraise for particular projects, maintain good governance and have regular oversight of the finance function.
- The Treasurer may be a member of the PCC, which acts as Board of Trustees. (Being a member of PCC is optional however attendance at a certain number of meetings is required). The PCC is responsible for the governance and strategic leadership of the church. The management accounts are presented to the PCC and Standing Committee of the PCC on a regular basis and attendance at these meetings would be required as a minimum.
- The Vicar has day to day responsibility for the Operations & Finance Manager (OFM). The role will involve working closely with the OFM and being available to them on an ad hoc basis by phone and email and to attend the church offices as required.
4 KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
a)Prepare management accounts, identify any areas of concern and investigate accordingly.
b)Review bank reconciliations.
c)Check and authorise electronic payments and sign cheques.
d)Identify efficiencies and improvements that could be made to the way financial transactions are recorded and work with the OFM to implement.
e)To review the controls environment, identify any improvements needed and work with the OFM and other members of staff to implement changes.
f)To implement a system of monthly balance sheet reconciliations to be performed by the OFM.
g)To meet with the Vicar, OFM and relevant staff to review performance against budget.
h)To meet with Vicar on an ad hoc basis to update on any issues identified.
i)To analyse the financial management needs of the church currently and advise the PCC on how to provide for any future requirements.
j)Prepare annual budgets and planning in line with the Mission Action Plan of the church.
k)Help to drive the fundraising for special projects including grant applications.
5 REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ROLE
- To be in sympathy with and proactively support All Hallows by the Tower Church mission, ethos and practice. (Refer www.ahbtt.org.ukfor details.)
- Experience of senior leadership in a finance function.
- Awareness of Charity accounting principles.
- An ability to analyse financial information and make recommendations regarding issues as they arise.
- A willingness to engage with the Vicar and staff team and work as a member of a team.
- To have good communication skills and the ability to work with a wide range of people.
- A willingness to challenge and question appropriately.
- An ability to commit the time and effort required for this role.
To apply for this role: Please send a cover letter with your CV to Revd Katherine Hedderly firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also contact Katherine if you would like to find out more about the role. 020 7481 2928 (office) / 07855 161415 (mob)
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's