|Job Title:||Honorary Treasurer|
|Salary:||Voluntary role with expenses reimbursed|
|Contact Name:||Athol Halle|
|Job Published:||September 27, 2018 13:14|
The Trust for Developing Communities
The Trust for Developing Communities (TDC) is a dynamic and growing charity tackling inequality in the City of Brighton and Hove. We are seeking an experienced finance professional, qualified by examination or experience, to join our Board of Trustees in the vital voluntary role of Treasurer.
About TDC. We are an independent charity with a proud 18-year track record of delivering community development work to empower communities in Brighton and Hove. We are a values driven organisation which believes in social justice, equality and collective action. We believe community led solutions produce longer lasting and more meaningful change and that strong communities are the key to health and happiness
Our seemingly affluent City is home to some of the most deprived areas in England. We work with people and communities facing challenges, supporting them to address their specific needs and problems to take more control of their own lives.
Our work includes significant local authority contracts to deliver community development directly in neighbourhoods across the city; extensive youth work and citywide work to address inequalities with Black and Minority Ethnic communities and with older people.
The Role. We are looking for a finance professional to utilise your skills and knowledge to support the growth of our charity. You will maintain an overview of the TDC’s financial affairs, ensuring our long-term financial viability, and we will need you to provide both scrutiny and support to the Board of Trustees and to the Management Team to oversee financial procedures, reporting and risk management.
The Commitment. The role is voluntary and involves attendance at quarterly Board Meetings and Internal Sub-Committee Meetings, in addition to regular work directly with senior staff to input into finance strategy, reporting and procedures. Meetings can be arranged during working hours or evenings, as convenient.
I have had the privilege of being the Chair of the Board of Trustees of TDC since 2017 and have been inspired by the work of the organisation. You will be joining TDC at an exciting time, as we develop our new vision for achieving greater equality within our city and beyond. I look forward to welcoming a new Trustee to join me in overseeing TDC’s important and impactful work.
Role Title: Treasurer
Main Purpose: To maintain an overview of the TDC’s financial affairs, ensuring our long term financial viability, by providing scrutiny and support to the Management Team to oversee financial procedures, reporting and risk management.
Hours: Expected approximately one day per month
Remuneration: Voluntary role with expenses reimbursed.
Term: Three-Year term, can be re-elected for multiple terms.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Scrutiny. Lead the Board’s duty to ensure TDC’s financial resources are controlled, reported on, invested and spent in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Strategy and Budgeting. Ensure all strategic plans are financially appraised and budgets are aligned to both short-term and long-term objectives each year.
- Reporting. Ensure a high standard of management accounting is maintained – ensuring the organisation is responding appropriately to financial reports.
- Policies. Support the development and implementation of policies regarding financial reserves, cost management, pensions and investment.
- Procedures. Oversee TDC’s financial procedures, ensuring we operate within all relevant legal frameworks.
- Banking. Oversee TDC’s use of bank accounts and take responsibility as a counter signatory on the organisation’s payments and contracts where required.
- Sustainable Business Model. Support the Management Team to develop and implement a sustainable business model.
- Annual Audit. Provide Board level liaison with external auditors including an overview of the whole audit process.
- Board. Guide and advise the Board regarding the approval of annual and audited accounts, and all financial reporting, in plain language, which is fully understood by the Trustees.
- Finance Staffing. Support the Chief Executive to design and recruit appropriate staff and freelancers to deliver TDC’s accountancy, finance and bookkeeping work.
- Board Meetings. Prepare for and attend quarterly Board Meetings, including one Annual Away Day and other meetings as required.
- Internal Sub-Committee Meetings. Prepare for and attend quarterly Internal Sub-Committee Meetings.
- Represent. To represent TDC when required at public events, meetings with funders etc.
- Values. To ensure Board decisions are made in line with TDC’s community development values.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Finance Expertise. Extensive experience as a finance professional, qualified by examination or experience, with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Charity Finance. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity finance practices including familiarity with SORP.
- Communication. Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- IT. Competent use of IT skills.
- Commitment. Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the role of Treasurer.
- Legal. Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Values. To demonstrate a commitment to TDC’s community development values.
- Equal Opportunities. A commitment to equal opportunities practice.
Enquiries. If you would like to discuss the role before applying, please contact TDC’s Chief Executive, Athol Hallé on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07730 624 363.
Application. To apply for this role, please submit both a CV and cover letter by email to Athol Hallé on email@example.com by 2pm on Saturday 13th October.
Please can you include within your cover letter:
- Person Specification. Please include details of how you meet the areas outlined in the Person Specification above.
- Interest in role. Please explain why you are interested in volunteering for TDC.
Shortlisted applicants will then be invited to a formal interview with TDC’s Chair of Trustees and Chief Executive, ideally on Wednesday 17th October. Please let us know if you would prefer a daytime or evening slot, or we can arrange an alternative date if required. Many thanks for considering this role.
Wavertree House, Somerhill Road, Hove BN3 1RN