|Job Title:||Honorary Treasurer|
|Salary:||Unpaid voluntary role|
|Contact Name:||Shayne Brown|
|Job Published:||August 08, 2018 13:14|
The Baobab Centre for Young Survivors in Exile is a non-residential therapeutic community that supports unaccompanied child, adolescent and young adult asylum seekers and refugees who have experienced organised violence, sexual abuse, trafficking and separation from their families. We provide long-term individual and group psychotherapy, arts-based work, benefits and housing advice. We also provide support to access education and healthcare as well as support through the asylum process including the preparation of specialist court reports.
We are looking for an Honorary Treasurer to join our Board of Trustees. The Treasurer is a member of the Board of Trustees. There are currently six Trustees, including the Chair. The Treasurer will maintain an overview of the organisation’s financial affairs and ensure they are legal, constitutional, within accepted accounting practices and comply with the 2015 Charity SORP. S/he will ensure that the Board of Trustees has a clear view of the financial viability of the organisation and will oversee arrangements for financial risk management, ensuring that these are adequate to the governance requirements, legal obligations and organisational needs of a small charity that runs as a therapeutic community. The Treasurer will work with the Executive and Clinical Director, the Operations Manager and the Management Accountant to ensure that proper records are kept and effective financial control procedures are in place. S/he will chair the Finance Committee that reports to the Board of Trustees and will oversee the production of necessary financial reports/returns, accounts and audits.
The Treasurer would be required to attend four Trustee meetings a year and four Finance Committee Meetings at The Baobab Centre in Holloway, N7. Additional tasks such as providing advice and guidance to the staff team, management accountant and other Trustees is likely to require no more than a total of an additional 3-4 hours every quarter, via phone calls, email and occasional face to face meetings.
Specific Responsibilities of the Role
- Ensure that Baobab's accounting procedures and controls are adequate and comply with company law, charity commission requirements and audit requirements.
- Lead in the development and implementation of financial reserves policies.
- Liaise with the Management Accountant, Director and Operations Manager to monitor and report on the financial health of the organisation.
- Lead on the appointing the auditors.
- Review and sign the annual Year End accounts and prepare and present the Treasurer's report at the yearly Annual General Meeting, including a brief analysis of the financial situation.
- Make trustees aware of their financial obligations and take a lead in interpreting financial data to them at the quarterly Trustees' meetings.
- Work with the Director and Operations Manager to review, and, where necessary, develop the budget strategy, liaising with the Management Accountant to oversee the production of the annual budget and its adoption by the Board of Trustees.
- Work with the Operations Manager to review and, where necessary, develop the strategy, liaising with the Management Accountant to oversee the production of the annual budget and its adoption by the Board of Trustees.
- Work with the Operations Manager to ensure proper records are kept and that effective financial procedures and controls are in place.
- Oversee the production of the assets of the Baobab Centre (e.g. leases, physical equipment)
- Act as a counter signatory on cheques, e-banking, and important applications to funders
- Other general responsibilities can be expected to include reading board papers, contributing to discussions on key issues, providing guidance on new initiatives, and contributing on other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise.
Experience and Qualities Required
- Professional and recognised accountancy qualification - ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience of current and fundraising practice relevant to small voluntary and community organisations with a tunrover of less than £500,000.
- Ability to communicate clearly and provide leadership to the Board on financial matters.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- An understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a trustee.
- An interest in, and commitment to human rights and the mission, values and activities of Baobab Centre for Young Survivors in Exile.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as Treasurer and Trustee
Before You Apply
Applications can be made directly to the Baobab Centre for Young Survivors in Exile, in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to volunteer with the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board as well as how you meet the person specification. Please send to email@example.com or alternatively call 02072671301 for more information.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's