|Job Title:||Fundraising Trustee|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Rachel Ord|
|Job Published:||July 30, 2020 17:34|
START: Students and Refugees Together is a charity that work in partnership with families, individuals and organisations to facilitate the transition of refugees from people in need to self reliant contributors to their local communities. START recognises the skills and experiences that refugees bring to the city. As a learning organisation, START uniquely utilises the student placement as a resource which together with the strengths and skills of the community, we work out what support is needed and how to achieve it.
START is looking for a Fundraising Trustee to assess where fundraising fits into the overall strategy and work with senior staff to ensure effective income generation is achieved. The Board of Trustees plays a key role in the functioning and success of the charity. It sets the overall strategic direction and provides scrutiny to our processes and decisions. Trustees also ensure standards of governance are upheld as well as assessing business development, risk management and performance management. Our Trustees are key to ensuring we continue to make a positive difference to the lives of refugees.
- Oversee and support the development of the overall fundraising strategy and ensure it is carried out in legal, honest and accountable ways.
- Work alongside the management team and the Board to create innovative ideas to gain funds.
- Liaison with the Management Team and where appropriate external consultants over fundraising activities.
- Contribute knowledge of fundraising tools, techniques and strategies.
- Empathy with refugee and asylum issues. Some knowledge of refugee and asylum issues would be desirable
- Fundraising/income-generation knowledge and/or business development background
- Drive and ambition to help us develop our financial sustainability by diversification of our funding streams
- Building positive relationships with key stakeholders, fellow trustees and staff, to achieve the organisational objectives.
- Understanding of the Code of Fundraising Practice/Fundraising Regulator.
- All Trustees must be 18 years and over and have excellent communication skills with the capacity to express themselves with authority
- Have a commitment to the aims of START
- Have a willingness to devote the necessary time and effort
- Have strategic vision and be able to understand and assess risks
- Able to exercise independent judgement and take reasonable care, skill and diligence in their role on the Board
- Be willing and able to express their views and opinions and promote the success of START
- Understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- Be able to work effectively as a member of a team and to maintain good working relations.
What difference will you make?
As a trustee you will have the chance to use your fundraising skills to really help enable START to continue to make a positive difference to the lives of refugees.
What is in it for the volunteer?
Being a Trustee at START is a hugely rewarding opportunity: you will be part of a group of people that are passionate about improving the lives of refugees in Plymouth and Cornwall and supporting START to develop and deliver projects and activities to achieve this aim.
- The board meets every 3 months in Plymouth. These are usually held on Tuesdays 11am-1pm. We would expect Trustees to be able to attend most of these meetings and we can support digital attendance if needed.
- Business meetings are held every quarter if needed.
- Availability via phone or email to the Chair for advice from time to time.
- Attend ad hoc meetings with the fundraisers and management team
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please provide your CV, along with a covering letter stating why you wish to work for the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.