4 days ago
Books Beyond Words
At Beyond Words, our vision is to transform the lives of those who struggle with the written word. We are seeking a finance professional for the role of Finance Trustee/Treasurer to join our dedicated, vibrant Trustee Board.
About Books Beyond Words
Too many people with learning disabilities are not living their lives to the full. There are 1.5 million people with learning disabilities in the UK today and most have some difficulty in communicating. This creates barriers within their family or being able to make friends, and they struggle to communicate with professionals who are there to help them make decisions about their own health, education and employment, or simply to help them join in in the community. In August 2018, for the first time ever, NHS England named learning disabilities and autism as one of the four key priorities for the next ten years. We are more aware of the experiences and inequalities facing people with learning disabilities and believe that there has never been a better time to act.
Is to support people who struggle with the written word to engage more fully in society. Through our wordless picture stories, we aim to empower people to make their voices heard and to be actively involved in the choices and events that affect their lives. Our stories transcend language barriers, and we strive to help anyone in the world who find pictures easier than words.
Our Board of Trustees provides governance, support and guidance in ensuring Beyond Words achieves its core purpose.
Duties of all Trustees
· Appoint, manage and support the Chief Executive
· Contribute to defining the purpose and strategy of the Charity
· Monitor the delivery of the strategic plan
· Ensure, via effective delegation to the Chief Executive, that the organisation is efficiently and properly managed
· Contribute professional knowledge and experience to specific areas of the Charity’s programme, agreed with the Chair and Chief Executive, that will add value and advance the organisation’s success. Work effectively with the other Trustees to create a team culture.
Specific Treasurer Responsibilities include
· together with the Board, oversee the financial performance of the organization, including approving and monitoring budgets, constructively challenging where required.
· Monitor the financial and non-financial risks to the organisation and resulting risk-management plans
. Board level liaison with the external Accountants on specific issues arising in the preparation of Statutory Accounts and other reporting and compliance requirements
Guide and advise fellow trustees on the formal approval of the annual report and accounts
Advise the Board on reserves policy, regular monitoring of free reserves and advice where needed to adapt to changing circumstances
Desired experience and qualities
· Qualified accountant with experience in financial management and financial reporting
. Some experience of Charities, either in a senior Finance role or as a Trustee
Ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board
. Personal experience of the social care sector, particularly learning disabilities or autism, either through friends/family contacts or through previous employment
· A creative, energetic and positive person with a desire to help build a successful organisation
· A team player who demonstrates openness and integrity
· A mature professional with sound judgment, able to think strategically
The Board meet four times a year. Currently these meetings are held by video call; in person meetings, when resumed, would be held in Westminster, London.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please email the following documents (in word format) to our Chief Executive, Nick Wright: firstname.lastname@example.org
A comprehensive CV
A covering letter containing:
- A personal statement which addresses the criteria listed in the Job Description and your motivation for applying
- Your availability for the time commitment required
- The name, job title, organisation, email address and mobile phone number of two professional referees. (Please note referees will not be approached without your prior permission.)
Please ensure that you include your mobile phone number and email address in your application. Do not hesitate to contact Nick Wright on 07766 911225 if you have any queries.
Beyond Words promotes diversity and seeks to ensure that its processes are fair, transparent, promote equality of opportunity for all, and do not have an adverse impact on any particular group. We also follow best practice in GDPR and this means that your personal details will only be retained in our records during the selection and interviewing processes, after which they will be deleted.