|Job Title:||Finance Trustee|
|Location:||Bath and North East Somerset|
|Salary:||0 - 0|
|Contact Name:||Greg Noakes|
|Job Published:||July 16, 2021 15:41|
Want to be a part of something fun and exciting? Want to make a difference and support a unique community? Why not join the Students Union (The SU) by becoming our newest Trustee!
Who are we?
The SU is a registered independent Charity that exists to support and represent Students at the University of Bath.
We do this by working alongside our energetic and dynamic student community to:
- support them in representing their views both locally with the University and nationally with the government.
- provide advice and support to them on a range of matters including academic, housing, personal wellbeing and more.
- provide social, cultural, sporting and recreational activities and forums for discussion and debate to help with their personal development.
The SU employs more than 50 career staff and hundreds of student workers. Its work is overseen by an independent board made up of six elected student officers and seven independent trustees. The SU has a turnover of more than £4.2m, and is funded by a grant from the University, membership income and commercial revenue.
What's in it for you?
Volunteering as a Trustee is a challenging but rewarding experience. As part of the board, you’ll:
- help The SU overcome challenges to ensure a bright future for our student community;
- work collaboratively with people from different backgrounds, challenging your own perspective and broadening your network;
- gain experience outside of your job and skills you can bring back to your own work place.
What are we looking for?
You don’t need to have any previous experience of being a Trustee. Our training and support will help you feel confident in your role and get you up to speed, so that you can make a positive impact from your first day. With this round of recruitment we’re looking for someone with a financial background to join the board.
Our ideal candidate should have:
- a recognised accounting qualification;
- knowledge of fundraising and finance practices;
- experience of financial planning, monitoring, decision making, compliance and control;
- experience of working with a Small/Medium sized organisation;
- ability to scrutinise and probe financial statements, reports and management accounts;
- ability to communicate and explain financial information to other Trustees.
What will you be doing?
The board is responsible for our overall governance, strategic direction and holding management to account for the decisions it makes. This is an influential and valuable role where you will be able to make important contributions to our current work and future direction – in particular supporting us to implement our strategy.
This role involves attending board and committee meetings which are held across the year. Normally there are four board meetings held in Sept, Dec, Mar and June which each last between 2-3 hours. In addition to this you’ll also be asked to attend our Finance & Audit committee which meets May, Aug, Nov and Mar with meetings lasting between an 1-1.30 hours. As part of the annual external audit you will meet with auditors to discuss their findings. These meetings are currently held virtually.
Beyond these meetings we welcome whatever additional help and support you feel willing to volunteer based upon your own skills and interests. As a Trustee you may be invited to attend some of our big SU events such as Freshers’ Week, Awards nights, rugby at the Rec and May Ball where you’ll have an opportunity to meet staff, students and other important stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be appointed as a Trustee for up to three years with possibility of serving a second term afterwards.
Interested? Want to learn more?
We encourage anyone interested in the role to get in touch with us for a friendly informal chat by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also want to check out our website (https://www.thesubath.com/) to find out more about us and what we do!
How to apply
To apply for this role please go to our advert on Reach Volunteering where you will be able to apply at the bottom of the page.
The deadline for applications is the 16th July 2021 with interviews to be held between 9th and 20th August 2021.